Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How to tell if new LBGE shipped with high temp gasket?

SmokingOzarksBBQSmokingOzarksBBQ Posts: 151
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I know in the past, stock gaskets were not "high temp" and generally had to be replaced with a Nomex or Rutland. I am hearing that BGEs are now shipping with new gaskets but without knowing what the old ones look like, how does one know if he or she got a new high temp gasket as stock? My gasket is a light gray color. I have seen some with a darker gray so just wondering what the likelihood is that my new BGE, which I bought a couple of weeks ago, has a new gasket if that is possible. 

Appreciate the help. 

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,460
    It's probably Nomex.  You can cut off a little sliver and hold it over a lighter.  If it burns, it's wool felt.  If not, it's Nomex.

• If it's grey it's felt, nomex is white

Steve 

Caledon, ON

xraypat23 said:
    I believe if it's a "NEW" one, im not a 100% sure on the firering. But i know it's still a cast iron fire grate, should ship with a grey nomex gasket installed already, you can tell if it's one of the brand new ones by the handle, it's about twice as wide as the old larges.

• If it's grey it's felt, nomex is white

Not true, the new nomex which is now being shipped as stock is "light" gray. 

I'd say you have the new version.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Sorry,

The ones I have are white.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sorry,

The ones I have are white.

mine too and just got a new egg with white nomex 3 months ago. I did hear they are shipping them with gray nomex now but I heard that on here. if everybody else on here lies as much as I do, who knows what color it is?

• We've just started to get a flow of the new Eggs with the new version of Nomex in the last month. I just took a pic on the showroom floor of both shades of "gray".

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• We've just started to get a flow of the new Eggs with the new version of Nomex in the last month. I just took a pic on the showroom floor of both shades of "gray".

With photo evidence to boot. Really glad they upgraded those as stock equip.

• Awesome. I believe my new large has a nomex gasket. And here I thought I was just going to burn it off in the future.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • I have the image on the left Smitty. Guess that's the new nomex.
  • Are the new grey nomex gaskets better then the white nomex replacement gaskets they send.

Are the new grey nomex gaskets better then the white nomex replacement gaskets they send.
    They're made out of the same stuff, I doubt it.

• Another picture of the new gasket. To me it looks like a combination of felt and nomex.
    IMAG0326.jpg 424.1K
  • Cooked some pizza last night at 700° and the gasket did perfectly fine. Guess they are now shipping with high temp gaskets.:)
  • The new high heat replacement gasket that the mothership sent two weeks ago was gray.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa