Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canadian's Gasket's Toast

Options
BRush00
BRush00 Posts: 367
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

Good morning everyone,

I just noticed yesterday afternoon that my gasket's now cooked.  It's dry and starting to flake off when you simply brush it with your fingers.

Anybody in Canada have any advise on a replacement? 

Thanks.

[Insert clever signature line here]

Comments

• bertscampers
    Options
    Yes just call the head office and they will send you a new one.   

Cheers
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2012
    Options
    If by calling head office @bertscampers means Northwind, let us know how you make out.
    BGE evidently has a new self adhesive Nomex gasket (I've never seen one), sounds like they gave up on the felt. My US based dealer provided a new felt one for me, not sure if your Canadian dealer can help you, but may be worth a try if they are close by. 

Also, search the forum if you want a longer term replacement, there are gaskets available from Nomex, Cotronics (must buy in volume) and Rutland. Also the Naked Whiz has some good gasket info. 

Nomex and Rutland are available through Amazon and elsewhere, High-Que offers grates and Nomex gaskets. Although BGE will send you a replacement, the track record for the BGE gasket has not been good. If the new ones do last longer, maybe you will not have to seek an alternative
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bertscampers
    Options
    I was given a high temp replacement (its white not the grey that came with my egg) but it is not self adhesive.  Not sure what it is made of.  Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    edited September 2012
    Options
    If you get a new gasket  from the mothership it is more than likely Nomex. I got the same gasket without adhesive a couple of years ago and installed it with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. It has held up very well. I took the lid off of my LBGE and cleaned the original (grey) gasket off the top and bottom. Used Acetone to soften the remnants of the gasket I could not scrape off. Made a template out of cardboard to use to protect the inside of the egg while spraying. Taped paper on the outside edge of the top and bottom to protect the outside of the egg. Good luck with your project. This might sound like over kill with all the steps I took....but I am retired and have plenty of time.   :)>-

Opelika, Alabama
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I was given a high temp replacement (its white not the grey that came with my egg) but it is not self adhesive.  Not sure what it is made of.  Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks
    Sounds to me like an early Nomex. They were supplied without glue, and of course you had to buy glue because Nomex gasket material was made for lots of other uses. Without a self adhesive, a 3M spray adhesive was recommended, but didn't seem to be popular. The Rutland seems to be the most used, cheap and lasts a long time. Many Eggers do not use the glue that comes with the Rutland. Rutland gaskets are made for wood stoves and there has always been an issue about food safety, however lots of eggs have Rutland gaskets. The other is Cotronics that I am aware of. No food issues, but, you have to buy 150" of self adhesive "Cotronics Thermeez 395" gasket for about $100US. Enough for a lifetime I'd guess. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!