Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Rubs for Brisket?

MayberryMayberry Posts: 563
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing my second brisket flat today, and wanted opinions on what type of rub most people use. I believe I used dizzy pig dizzy dust last time, but I am out of my standard pork rubs right now. I do have some cow lick and some raising the steaks, if that would be good on brisket. Also, with a 5 pound flat, what do you generally expect, about one to 1 1/2 hours per pound ?
Athens, GA

Comments

• I also have something from a friend who is making his own rubs and trying to get them marketed. I tasted it and it seems to be very consistent with a lot of pork rubs only it had an extra bit of cayanne and paprika in it.
    Athens, GA
  • I use my own, whatever the favorite is for beef, go with it, or like you have discovered even a pork rub works. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Equal portions salt and pepper mixed with half that amount of garlic powder and onion powder.
  • +1 on Mighty Quinn's suggestion.  KISS method for beef is always best.  If you are looking for exotic, inject and based with zesty italian dressing.
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • I have used DP Raising the Steaks before and it was really good.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!