Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Attempt for restaurant quality brisket

ajridge35
ajridge35 Posts: 71
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

Went to a restaurant and had, allegedly, the best brisket in America (by a restaurant... Franklin BBQ). Supposedly, the rub is a simple black pepper and salt combo. I've heard thats what they use in Lockhart. Anyway, I know there's no sense in being determined to replicate it to the n'th degree, but I want to try a pepper and salt only rub. Has anyone had any success with this? Is it worth it? Any particular kind of salt and/or pepper?

Just a thought, curious as to what you guys had to offer. Thanks!

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited September 2012
    I've done equal parts fresh ground black pepper, sea salt, and garlic powder. It was great.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I've done equal parts fresh ground black pepper, sea salt, and garlic powder. It was great.
    +1, it works for all beef roasts, rib, rump etc... why not the king of low and slow, the brisket.
    Some times a touch of onion powder is nice too. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I just saw some info on Franklin BBQ last night on Last Reservations and they only use oak for smoke.  I may give it a try as well, we probably can't get the same quality of briskett, but worth a try.  Report back if you give it a run.
    Edina, MN

• Budgeezer said:
    I just saw some info on Franklin BBQ last night on Last Reservations and they only use oak for smoke.  I may give it a try as well, we probably can't get the same quality of briskett, but worth a try.  Report back if you give it a run.

http://meyernaturalangus.com/

This is where he gets his brisket.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Funny, while reading this the title for this topic, I was thinking that I've never had good brisket at a restaurant. Wasn'te ven thinking about BBQ joints as restaurants. I've been wanting to try just a salt and pepper rub on briskets for awhile. If you figure something out, let us know.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I second the comment from Griffin... I went to a restaurant in Branson,MO this weekend while on vacation... the menu had a brisket sandwich... I thought I would try it... the meat was drenched in sauce.  My wife and I talked about the ability for a restaurant to sell a good brisket, it is tough - no pun intended- but imagine having the meat sit in a warmer and then not have it dry out.  Of all places I  did have an above average brisket was at Frontier City in OKC... there is a off-shoot BBQ place there.. I have eaten there once, I dont know if it was dumb luck or they have a good thing going.

Im going to cook up a 14 lb brisket this weekend for the first weekend of the NFL season.  I have been drooling on cooking it all week.  Its been sitting in my keezer for two weeks, time to warm the BGE.

BGE Large... Go get 'em! "Cant means you haven't tried."

Tulsa, OK

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Question for ajridge35,

So was the brisket as good as the reputation? Living in the northern Indiana, brisket is a rarity, and even the BBQ joints don't make it very good, much less restaurants. (Actually, when I read the thread title, I assumed it was a joke. Who would want to make restaurant quality brisket?"

I've seen pics of Franklin's brisket. It seems so perfectly juicy that I wonder if there isn't a secret ingredient. If there isn't, trying to replicate it might be awfully hard. Like, practice makes perfect, and the first 500 lbs. are just practice.
  •  

gdenby said:
    Question for ajridge35,

So was the brisket as good as the reputation? Living in the northern Indiana, brisket is a rarity, and even the BBQ joints don't make it very good, much less restaurants. (Actually, when I read the thread title, I assumed it was a joke. Who would want to make restaurant quality brisket?"

I've seen pics of Franklin's brisket. It seems so perfectly juicy that I wonder if there isn't a secret ingredient. If there isn't, trying to replicate it might be awfully hard. Like, practice makes perfect, and the first 500 lbs. are just practice.

I got there at 9:30am, I didn't sit down to eat until a little before 1 pm. After the long line, I was thinking this brisket would need to be extraordinary to meet my expectations, given the wait and the reputation. All that to say, I didn't think it was possible, but it exceeded my expectations. It was everything you've always wanted your brisket to turn out to be like.

Guess I'm just a barbecue nerd who loves it more than I should, but if I go down to Austin again, I would happily wait 2-3 hours again for this meal. Like what you had said, the first 500# is practice, and now he's nailed it to perfection. I am by no means in a hurry to make my briskets flawless, but I'm sure it'll be fun trying different things out - with hopes of making mine turn out like Franklin's.

• I saw Franklin's on No Reservations this week. I couldn't believe how moist it looked and the way it wiggled like Jello when he put a new whole brisket on the cutting board. I must say I wanted a big plate of it in front of me at that moment. 
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX