Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reason for Dimples on the Egg Theory may have been solved

Options
nozob1
nozob1 Posts: 43
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
My good friend Karen was very interested as to why the BGE has dimples.  Being a brilliant nurse herself, her father was a scientist, she felt there must be a reason for it. This was a previous post.  She had gone to Speidie Fest last weekend in Binghamton NY (our home town) and asked a man who was selling the Eggs there abt the dimple theory.  

His reply to her was:  "the dimples were used to increase the surface area of the outside to contain the heat inside".

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    OK, I'm not scientist, but in my mind, the extra surface area on the outside acts like the extra surface area provided by fins on a heat sink. It would make it cool easier. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    edited August 2012
    Options
    OK, I'm not scientist, but in my mind, the extra surface area on the outside acts like the extra surface area provided by fins on a heat sink. It would make it cool easier. 

It could also make it fly through the air better and cut through wind more effectively. The Mythbusters improved the gas mileage on a car by covering it in clay dimples.   :D
    XL BGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Cause it looks purdy with dimples.  And maybe it's a faux hand-made texture, like what they carve into wood floors to make it look like it was hand planed.  (fools no-body)
    Options
    Still think they are there to stop your jealous weber owning neighbor from attaching a lympit mine to it,
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    so it would be like a golf ball...remember a fade will listen but you can't talk to a hook....it has it's own mine like egg owners....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• nozob1
    Options
    you guys are too much!  LOL

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    nope
    the dimples are new. they are molded now, and are only an imitation of the original surafce, which was the result of hand-applied slip. take a look at an old egg, and you'll see the pattern is not cast in place, but hand applied and unique from egg to egg.

the pieces used to be molded with a seam, as halves (dome in two parts, for example).  they got glued together with slip, then the slip was patted all over to create a mottled surface to disguise the seam and to provide a textured decorative surface.

the dimples are a cast-in-place recreation of that.

dimples pattern has changed over the years and actually varies between sizes.  the pattern not quite the same style between a large and a small.

increasing surface area would actually cause the egg to cool more quickly. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • uncledave
    Options
    My theory would be all the dimples add strength to the egg.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I think the dimples make the food cooked inside taste better.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Dimples just make it cuter. (and what stike said)
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

dimples hide the imperfections in the casting.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    dimples allow easier separation from the mold after casting, perhaps.
    canuckland
  • stike
    edited August 2012
    Options
    look.  hungry joe.  i don't guess at stuff here.  no "theories". it's what i said it was. 
    just get on board, k?

:))

and canugghead: dimples increase surface area, which increases cohesion (harder to remove)

c'mon peeps.  be a lot easier if you just agree with me and move on.  take a look at all the old pictures.  answer is obvious (or least i thought it was) :)

• tazcrash
    Options

Yes stike.... we obeyyyyyyyyy

;)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • nozob1
    Options
    I am glad I did not start the "What Came First?  The Chicken or the BGE"!  ;)  Now, to find who here can "CRACK" this?

Where is Myth Busters when we need them!  Invite them there at Eggfest in Winston Salem and ask them!

Great concepts mentioned here ..as well funny ones!
  • moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61
    Options
    I just thought it was cus they were gonna call it a big green avacado, but someone screwed up.
  • nozob1
    Options
    good one, Moose!
  • acr
    acr Posts: 27
    Options
    I just thought it was cus they were gonna call it a big green avacado, but someone screwed up.
    darn... too slow... 

I tell my kids it's the big green avocado.  My 5 year old daughter is only too happy to correct me; "no, it's the big green EGG dad"
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    The dimples are to make the molds release easier.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    edited August 2012
    Options
    It could also make it fly through the air better and cut through wind more effectively. The Mythbusters improved the gas mileage on a car by covering it in clay dimples.   :D
    That's what I was thinking - just like a golf ball.

Tim
  • nozob1
    Options
    I wonder if the BGE was to to resemble an Emu Egg!  :)

• timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Options
    Who cares?  The food tastes good. :D
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • nozob1
    Options
    We care cuz we are one a crazy bunch of Eggers!   8-}  timekpr1..I like your quote!  It is perfect!
  • Ranger908
    Options

The real truth.

It's a Government regulations to protect alien space travelers.  Several "Little Green Men" were cooked (In Texas) after crawling into the old smooth Egg's, thinking they were in there smooth green space delivery vehicles.  The dimples are like a "Do Not Enter" sign to the "Little Green Guys".  The regulation came about when the alien's agreed not to abduct any more Texans.  The Government wanted to include West Virginia in the Agreement, but West Virginians like the taste and refused.

• stike
    edited August 2012
    Options
    look at the pics here, there are pics of older handmade kamados showing the pattern more clearly.

http://www.applecreektimberinc.com/modules/AMS/article.php?storyid=383

the dimples are purely decorative now.  but they originally were camouflage for surface imperfections.  the pattern was hand applied by dipping your hand in liquid slip, and patting it onto the egg before firing (to cover seams and imperfections). you can even see that different colors were used

the dimple design is sharper now than it was even a few years ago, and there are differences between the egg sizes.

purely decorative.
  • tazcrash
    Options
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain (who is "liked" by media giants!). 

"The truth is out there." 

Personally I'm leaning toward the illuminati putting it on there to subconsciously implant a message of submission! ^:)^
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I haven't seen any of the old style up close, but the notion that the dimples are there to hide imperfections makes a lot of sense. The potters I have known would not have used fingers, too slow, but would pattern the covering slip w. coarse burlap,  dabs from natural sponges, scrub brushes, etc.

But, then again, everyone agrees that dimples are cute. Just another reason to like the Egg. Not just a great piece of ceramic, but as cute as can be!
  • stike
    edited August 2012
    Options
    yeah. rags, brushes, etc..

i probably am a little too specific saying 'hands'.  rags, sponges, something.

thanks for clarifying that.
    you can see from old egg to old egg that it is not the same pattern. each one is individual.

but each large BGE now has the same pattern.  it's cast in.

• nozob1
    Options
    Very nice,  Stike!  You are doing your homework! Impressed!  With everyone actually...even the funny remarks!   I had googled BGE early this year someone was selling an old BLUE one.
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    edited August 2012
    Options
    look.  hungry joe.  i don't guess at stuff here.  no "theories". it's what i said it was. 
    just get on board, k?

:))

and canugghead: dimples increase surface area, which increases cohesion (harder to remove)

c'mon peeps.  be a lot easier if you just agree with me and move on.  take a look at all the old pictures.  answer is obvious (or least i thought it was) :)

Sounds like a bid for "Grand Master" title within the Grand Cult of Egghead to me......
    [Insert clever signature line here]