Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Wicked Good Has Huge Pieces

dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,001
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Opened up a new bag of Wicked Good yesterday and this piece was on top.  There were another dozen piecs softball sized.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

photo (7).JPG 499.6K
·

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,236
    In the lump world sometimes it can "be too big" but you can always alter the size with a good hammer.  The reverse doesn't work-I am a big fan of WGWW for low&slows.  Just wish it wasn't quite so $$$.
    Louisville
    ·
  • Sgt93Sgt93 Posts: 704
    My fav lump by far. Love it.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A bunch of Webers - A bunch of accessories - Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier 
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @SSgt93
    ·
  • waltinvawaltinva Posts: 36
    My first bag was the same. Some of it was too big. Second bag this weekend was very disappointing. A few fist sized chunks and the rest just broken to small pieces.
    ·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
    My first bag was the same. Some of it was too big. Second bag this weekend was very disappointing. A few fist sized chunks and the rest just broken to small pieces.
    Small pieces should not be a disappointment. If your egg is properly cleaned you shouldn't have any problems. You may notice a little slower start. In my experience smaller pieces seem to allow the fire to burn even, and have that clean smell quicker than the logs. Just my .02 FWIW.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    I agree with brownie. Smaller pieces make for a uniform fire.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • I agree with brownie. Smaller pieces make for a uniform fire.
    Me too. I get those bags of best of the west that has football sized pieces n them. I hit them with a pick axe to break them up. Huge pieces are not great for uniform fires

·
  • BGE4LifeBGE4Life Posts: 34
    I used to only use Royal Oak in the Green Bag.  I switched to WGWW and find it is much bigger chunks, burns longer and the cost per cook isn't much different despite the price.
    ·
  • chuffchuff Posts: 255
    I drank the forum kool-aid and picked up my first 2 bags of WGWW today. I'm curious to see if it's worth the extra over the Wal-Mart RO.
    XL BGE
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    a single 20 pound chunk would make for a poor fire.  and twenty one-pound chunks would be undesirable too.  you need small to medium pieces for bridging, and allowing the fire to travel by contact.

a few decent sized chunks are good for placing on the fire grate to permit max inflow of the air, but if you have nuthin but big stuff, yer gonna have a weird fire
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • unit26unit26 Posts: 53
    Where do you purchase WGWW?
    ·
  • Im loving wicked. At my local bbq shop it cost 22.50 for a 22lb bag.. Which is about the same as the bge lump. I love the low spark as compared to royal oak
    ·
  • waltinvawaltinva Posts: 36
    It still burned well. I am not sure it is worth the premium price though. Wicked Good is $1.14/lb. I can get Wegmans Grocery brand for $0.60/lb. I went to Dizzy Pig to get rub and wound up getting rubs,chips,chunks,sauce,and WG lump. Good thing I ran out of money
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    I bought 3 bags WG and got a discount worked out at 77 cents a pound
    Lynnwood WA
    ·