Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got invited to cook at an Eggfest!!

Duganboy
Duganboy Posts: 1,118
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Got a phone call while I was playing golf today.  Didn't recognize the number so I didn't answer.  It was the BGE dealer in Lexington, KY inviting me to cook at an Eggfest on August 18th.

I'm sure some of you have done this.  How does it work?  Do they tell you what to cook?

I'm supposed to call them back tomorrow and I need some advice and insight about how these cooks work.

TIA

Comments

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Congrats, and have fun!
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • I bought my egg in Frankfort, had no idea they were having another fest down there.
  • Duganboy
    I bought my egg in Frankfort, had no idea they were having another fest down there.
    @LizzieSamps   Neither did I.  The demo XL I posted about last night is coming from the Frankfort dealer, Wilson Nurseries.  This Eggfest is at Housewarmings in Lex.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited August 2012
    Of the 3 different Eggfest locations that I've attended or cooked at, the choice of what to cook is up to you. Typically you provide the food to be cooked/served and the dealer provides plates, napkins, plastic ware, drinks, possibly disposable gloves, and most importantly a demo Egg for you to cook on. Usually the cook does not pay to attend and can usually bring an assistant to a few assistants who also attend at no cost. Some fests have "Peoples Choice" events where the attendees give votes to their favorite cooks & prizes are awarded to those garnering the most votes. I'd recommend asking the dealer for any expectations/suggestions on an amount of food to serve and another details he can provide like expected # of attendees & cooks. I don't see much info on their website. Oh yeah, typically you bring your own cooking utensils, plate setter/rig/swing grate if needed.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Typically, you'll cook whatever you want. What I saw when I cooked at the Salado Eggfest that most show off what the egg can do that's not traditional BBQ. Many baked desserts, the chap in a kilt next to me was shucking and grilling oysters. The 20 year old GQ model a few spots down was woking like his life depended on it. Then there was this one lad dressed in a mickey mouse suit that was making dessert quesadillas.

Make enough to feed peeps about 25-50 bite size servings. Don't cook all day cause you will learn a ton at a fest.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The people at Wilsons are great! I might need to google to see how far Lexington is from me I could squeeze another fest in before October!
  • Typically, you'll cook whatever you want. What I saw when I cooked at the Salado Eggfest that most show off what the egg can do that's not traditional BBQ. Many baked desserts, the chap in a kilt next to me was shucking and grilling oysters. The 20 year old GQ model a few spots down was woking like his life depended on it. Then there was this one lad dressed in a mickey mouse suit that was making dessert quesadillas. Make enough to feed peeps about 25-50 bite size servings. Don't cook all day cause you will learn a ton at a fest.
    Thanks Cazzy. I'm actually 43 but i do look young for my age. I haven't actualy done any professional modeling but I like to stay in good shape :))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Duganboy
    Thanks guys. I've only been to one and I just walked around and ate and talked to the cooks.  Going to give them a call and see about it tomorrow.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Typically, you'll cook whatever you want. What I saw when I cooked at the Salado Eggfest that most show off what the egg can do that's not traditional BBQ. Many baked desserts, the chap in a kilt next to me was shucking and grilling oysters. The 20 year old GQ model a few spots down was woking like his life depended on it. Then there was this one lad dressed in a mickey mouse suit that was making dessert quesadillas. Make enough to feed peeps about 25-50 bite size servings. Don't cook all day cause you will learn a ton at a fest.
    Thanks Cazzy. I'm actually 43 but i do look young for my age. I haven't actualy done any professional modeling but I like to stay in good shape :))

Thanks for clarifying that Cen-Tex as I thought maybe he was referring to Mickey as the GQ model. :D
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA