Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Three minute pizza

billybonbillybon Posts: 183
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

Several years ago, I experienced my first piece of “gourmet” pizza from an authentic wood burning oven. From that moment I was hooked on good pizza. In fact, I was so hooked that I built my own wood burning oven. I have had good fun cooking three minute pizzas for my friends in that oven. However, I have got to tell you, it is a lot of work. It takes a great deal of fuel to get to temp and I sure don’t want to crank it up during our South Florida summers. I now reserve that entertainment for our occasional cold winter day.

The trouble is I like to eat good pizza year round. Fortunately, I can get the same quality with a fraction of the effort by cooking pizza in my BGEs.  Here is how I cook a 3 minute pizza on a large BGE:

1.       Clean out fire box, put in a fresh load of fuel and start fire with vents fully open and no top cover.

2.       Install first platesetter with legs up.

3.       Install standard grill grate on top of PS legs.

4.       Install a “thin” pizza stone on top of grate.

5.       Straddle a second platesetter over the pizza stone with legs down. (Use fireproof shims to raise the PS to the highest point where it does not hit the dome when the lid is closed)

6.       Wait for the dome temp to reach at least 700. Higher is better.

7.       Insert pizza under the top PS and on top of the pizza stone.

8.       Check pizza after 2 1/2  minutes.

9.       Remove fully cooked pizza with tongs.

The dough springs to life as soon as it is placed in the Egg. I use a “thin” stone,  because it has less thermal mass than a thicker stone and actually extends the time I can leave the pie in the Egg while the top has time to cook. (Usually 3 minutes or less)

My wife called the office this afternoon with a request for pizza. I did not have time to proof the dough so I picked up a piece of dough from Publix. (All they had defrosted was whole wheat.) This is the “three minute” whole wheat sausage pizza that that she requested:

pizza 001.jpg
640 x 427 - 48K
pizza 006.jpg
640 x 427 - 75K
pizza 009.jpg
640 x 427 - 55K

Comments