Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Salsa

Options
SteveWPBFL
SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
My son and I like to make salsa, the usual tomato-peppers-onions-garlic-corn-black bean. After having the Egg around now for a while and grilling veggies a lot today we are going to pre-grill our salsa veggies and then make salsa. We'll grill direct raised at around 350F dome and see how it goes. I don't think we can lose! Anybody else do this one on a regular basis?

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    I have a few times.  I've burned the garlic every time (tossed it instead of trying to use it), but the onions and tomatoes come out good.  I've found I prefer the salsa's taste and texture if I only grill half the tomatoes, leave the rest cool/raw.

Oh, and fuggit about grilling the cilantro...   
    :D

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options

I saved this roasted salsa recipe from the now "other" site when it was this site (for you newbies that may be a bit confusing...) by AZRP- I make it at least every other week.  Only things I do differently is remove a few tomatoes early to get more texture and add some grilled corn off the cob-

Put some tomatoes (6-Roma) , garlic(1 bulb) , 1 onion. and 3 chilis on direct (no raised grid) at 400. Turned them frequently getting a blackened skin on everything.
    Pulled each piece off as they were done, the onion taking the longest, about 30 minutes. Let them cool for about 30 minutes then removed any loose skins.
    Put the tomatoes, the onion, the garlic and the chilis into the food processor with the juice of a lime, some cilantro, some salt, and a little cumin. Gave it a couple quick pulses. Great flavor!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    I've never done it but it sounds like a damn good idea that I may have to try sometime. Thanks for sharing.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Here's the photo sequence. Pre-grill. The 'elements'.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Post-grill. Everything cooked 'al-dente' with brushed on EVOO at about 300F dome direct and raised. We were in no hurry. Could've been hotter. But since this was a trial run we were conservative. Next time might go to 350F or 400F dome and get some more grill marks.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Post-chop. Threw in the spices. Peeled most of the skins, they wanted to be peeled. The garlic was liquified so we made a slurry using that and some fresh lime juice so it blended in easily. We chopped it up to be chunky.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    It's a home run! It's the same salsa we make fresh, which is already incredible. But now we have a second version of it that is grilled. It isn't any better, because it really couldn't be. But it's just as good. And it will mate up with different dishes a little better. Ole!
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    Awesome. Definitely have to try this.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited July 2012
    Options

Must admit its been awhile, but yeah, we've done it before. You don't need no stinking grate, though. Just go caveman style!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings