Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hanger steak?

stevesails
stevesails Posts: 990
edited July 2012 in Beef
We were in las Vegas This week (cooler than Michigan). I had a hanger steak at A restaurant at the Paris. It was great. Almost the size of a port tenderloin. I have never seen it at a grocer.

Is it called something else in the Midwest?

Btw. If you haven't seen the grand canyon. Find a way
XL   Walled Lake, MI

Comments

• it's called hanger everywhere. it's a chef cut (cheap and flavorful when cooked right) so you won't ever see it at a grocer. You can most likely get it at a butcher though. If you cook them right, they are great. Mass grocers rarely carry stuff like that....but they didn't carry flank a few years ago so there is hope
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I buy hanger all the time at this place locally called "Rare Cuts".  Great with a chimichurri sauce.

There's only two or so pounds of hanger steak on a typical cow.   Love it, great flavor and tender.   I think it's part of the diaphram muscle.  Tastes different than regular skirt/flank.  If you an find it, it's a treat.  Costs about $12/lb where I buy it.