Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Beef Roast Question

JefCB01JefCB01 Posts: 28
edited July 2012 in Beef
I plan on trying a Beef Roast for the first time (haven't decided the cut yet)...should I use the placesetter or not?  What's a normal cooking temp/time?  What's everyone's favorite roast?
·

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,424
    Try the search function and you will get lots of options...in the end it becomes "whatever method works for you". I'm in the indirect 250*F (+/-) on the calibrated dome til I reach the desired finish temp.  Plan on around 25-30 mins/# with that set-up and the key is the finish temperature.  Favorite for me is prime rib with goodmarbling.  Very easy cook-
    Louisville
    ·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
    My best beef roast so far was a tenderloin tip.

I ended up searing at about 800 deg at a timed 90 seconds per side. Top,
    bottom, left side, right side, and flat end. 8 mins total (out of
    curiosity I checked temp; 64 deg.) . Removed to rest for 20 mins.
    Started to shut down for 400 degs. at just above 450 I put plate setter
    in legs up to help me hit 400. Returned loin. Cooked indirect for about
    30-40 mins. Removed with internal temp of 127. Rested in foil tent for
    10 mins. Carved at 133 deg. I wanted to do this as a trial run for
    Easter and I plan on starting to sear an hour and fifteen minutes before
    our meal.
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    While I love a beef tenderloin roast, my favorite has to be a boneless ribeye roast.

My favorite is doing it reverse seared like this:  http://www.nibblemethis.com/2011/12/reverse-seared-prime-rib-roast.html

Here are some tips I put together on rib roasts:  http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/12/fire-roasted-beef-rib-roast-20-tips.html

Speaking of which, I have a boneless roast in the freezer....maybe if I get it out now I can have it by Sunday!  Thanks for the idea!
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    i've done a shoulder roast at 265 dome and cooked till it hit internal temp of 145 turned out excellent 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·