Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Roast Question

JefCB01
JefCB01 Posts: 57
edited July 2012 in Beef
I plan on trying a Beef Roast for the first time (haven't decided the cut yet)...should I use the placesetter or not?  What's a normal cooking temp/time?  What's everyone's favorite roast?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Try the search function and you will get lots of options...in the end it becomes "whatever method works for you". I'm in the indirect 250*F (+/-) on the calibrated dome til I reach the desired finish temp.  Plan on around 25-30 mins/# with that set-up and the key is the finish temperature.  Favorite for me is prime rib with goodmarbling.  Very easy cook-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    My best beef roast so far was a tenderloin tip.

I ended up searing at about 800 deg at a timed 90 seconds per side. Top,
    bottom, left side, right side, and flat end. 8 mins total (out of
    curiosity I checked temp; 64 deg.) . Removed to rest for 20 mins.
    Started to shut down for 400 degs. at just above 450 I put plate setter
    in legs up to help me hit 400. Returned loin. Cooked indirect for about
    30-40 mins. Removed with internal temp of 127. Rested in foil tent for
    10 mins. Carved at 133 deg. I wanted to do this as a trial run for
    Easter and I plan on starting to sear an hour and fifteen minutes before
    our meal.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    While I love a beef tenderloin roast, my favorite has to be a boneless ribeye roast.

My favorite is doing it reverse seared like this:  http://www.nibblemethis.com/2011/12/reverse-seared-prime-rib-roast.html

Here are some tips I put together on rib roasts:  http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/12/fire-roasted-beef-rib-roast-20-tips.html

Speaking of which, I have a boneless roast in the freezer....maybe if I get it out now I can have it by Sunday!  Thanks for the idea!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i've done a shoulder roast at 265 dome and cooked till it hit internal temp of 145 turned out excellent 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.