Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best to start a low and slow with fresh lump?

Options
MDHog
MDHog Posts: 43
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
 I have about 2/3 full load of used lump from chicken/stakes on weekend. Should I take old lump out and replace with new before starting low and slow butt tonight?

If so, what's the best way to remove the old lump (other than your hands, which is effective but a giant mess)?

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    MD just clean out the bottom and make sure your grate holes aren't clogged and mix the new in with the old. Put it is sorta pyramid form and light the top.  If you get it going to strong it is hard to bring it down to 225-250.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    if it's that big, you should be OK. Just hand pick some nice big chunks of fresh lump to go on top and you'll be fine. Don't dump a bunch of small pieces and dust on top or you'll have air flow issues and get no sleep
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Assuming (hate that word) that by full you mean relative to the top of the fire box, for long duration low&slows I like to run with pretty much fresh lump.  That said, if using leftover lump I will make sure all the shake and ash dust is knocked off the remaining lump and the ash collection area is cleaned out. I then move the used lump to the side of the fire box and load big fresh lump on the bottom. (I light my low&slows at the bottom around bottom dead-center).  Get lots of new lump down low and then use the left-overs to complete the load.  I leave the center area open til the fire is burning then build up to the height of the rest of the lump.  Works for me-but there are many ways to do this.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.