Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

killer burgers

Options
turok
turok Posts: 28
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I have only been eggin' a couple weeks but I must say the splendid scrumptious vittles that come out from under that dome are heavenly. I have done pizza (partially fried my gasket but still works well enough) which turned out nicely. But the burgers! Oh the burgers! I threw in a handful of hickory mixed with mesquite chips and I don't think I have had a juicier or flavorful burger.

Also, question... I found the post here to reset the springs and hopefully get my dome to sit more flush but it seems to be slowly creeping offset again. Is it pretty much a constant game of readjustment? I am pretty erked that the gasket fried so quickly, eventhough the thought of going commando is tempting. I have read a lot of posts of no gasket cooking. But it would be nice to hve the dome flush not have to worry about a freakin crappy gasket frying. Thanks.

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I brought home a new small yesterday and am having the same problem. Even after adjustment, it is not sitting totally flush on the front after raising and lowering a few times. Alignment looks to be correct. Really annoying.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've had some alignment problems. They seem mostly to come from the top and bottom ring bands getting loose after repeated expansions and contractions. Usually, it just a matter of loosening both, seating the dome correctly, and re-tightening the nuts on the band bolts. I have had my son press down on the dome a few times while re-tightening the bands.

I did have one bad problem on one of my Eggs where the back of the dome kept raising up. I messed with the spring tension, I messed with the hinge bolts. Finally I found that both small nuts on one side of the back band were a little loose, like half a turn. Re-seated the dome as usual, tightened those up, and haven't had a problem in 18 months.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have adjusted mine once in 8 years so once you get it dialed in, I don't see it being a constant issue

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • turok
    turok Posts: 28
    Options
    I brought home a new small yesterday and am having the same problem. Even after adjustment, it is not sitting totally flush on the front after raising and lowering a few times. Alignment looks to be correct. Really annoying.
    Yeah. Its annoying. I really don't to mess with changing the gasket a couple weeks after getting it. But I did read on naked whiz' site about a rutland gasket. I am really considering that if it is more robust.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options

You have the bolts tight enough when they start bending.