Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Multiple Butts

Phoenix824
Phoenix824 Posts: 243
edited May 2012 in Pork
I am a few weeks away from this but I am going to be cooking at least two butts for a party at my moms.    My question is if I get two 8 lbs butts will they cook at approximate the same rate as one 8 lbs butt if I keep space between them or is it more like 16 lbs?
Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 354
    They will go a little longer than a single but not much. This is from more cold mass going in to the egg. They can touch, they will shrink and you will still get good bark
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I am a few weeks away from this but I am going to be cooking at least two butts for a party at my moms.    My question is if I get two 8 lbs butts will they cook at approximate the same rate as one 8 lbs butt if I keep space between them or is it more like 16 lbs?
    If you have the capability, have a probe in each of the butts.  Or make sure you use a Thermapen type thermometer in each butt/shoulder. 
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    I'm doing four 8 pound butts on a large as I type this. Expecting them to be done by mid afternoon tomorrow (today). Get to try the Food Saver for the first time tomorrow.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • troutgeek
    Managed to get a bad picture this morning.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Hey trout. Nice looking cook. If the butts that are touching don't get much bark, you can use a wooden skewer next time between them. I've done it many times and it works well. I just break to 2-3" and use a couple of them to keep them from touching.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • troutgeek
    Damn! That's a great idea!
  • You can still do it if they are still on.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • troutgeek
    It's moot now. They have shrunk to the point of not touching. Next time, however, I'm on it.