Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

lasangna

ricktannerricktanner Posts: 24
edited May 2012 in Cookbook

CAN YOU MAKE LASANGNA ON THE BGE AND IF SO ANY RECEIPIES AND POINTERS?

·

Comments

• MikeP624MikeP624 Posts: 292

I have never done it, but i would imagine you would use a standard recipe and cook it at the same temp you would in the oven. 

I would suggest using the platesetter legs up and set the pan of lasagna on the cooking grid.

Not sure there is any benefit for cooking a lasagna on the BGE, but let me know how it turns out.

·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,446
    Why not?  With a platesetter you can bake anything on the Egg you can in a stove.  The real question is would it be any different?  I suppose if you did it open top with strong smoke it might be.

Here are some veggies I did for a large cook, that were more or less done the way you would do lasagna.  They turned out great, but not any different than done inside.  I did them on the Egg, just because I wanted to.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,876
    Yes, just be careful about burning the edges.  I was not watching this one very close.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1132942&catid=1
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,970
    Sure, the Egg is just like an oven, just fueled by lump...and ovens used to be fueled by wood and coal anyway. Placesetter legs down and 3 lil green feet under your casserole dish. I've done mac n cheese before, among other casseroles.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • StoaterStoater Posts: 292
    I did a curry on the bge last week and pilau rice, it took on great smoke flavour, grilled the chicken first and threw it in the sauce to finish, I would recommend doing anything you like on it, my wife said it was the best curry ever.
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,295
    sometimes cheese picks up too much smoke flavor, i might cook it mostly with sauce on top and add the last layer of cheese towards the end.
    ·
  • ShaneFShaneF Posts: 26

Sure you CAN, but why not just cook it in the oven?? Unless you want smokey flavored lasanga...

·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024

I did one not to long ago. It was really good. The temp was the same as a normal lasagna. The noodles and cheese picked up a hint of smoke and really enhanced the flavor.

Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    fishless: foil for the majority of the cook and then remove the foil for browning and a little smoke.

mushroom lasagna is really good on the egg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,272
    I made chili on the egg last winter, but smoked a 7-bone roast by itself, let it cool, and then made the chili on the stove with it.  I would do a lasagna the same way.
    Wonder what smoking the noodles a bit before boiling would do?  Especially no-boil noodles?  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·