Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lasangna

ricktanner
ricktanner Posts: 24
edited May 2012 in Cookbook

CAN YOU MAKE LASANGNA ON THE BGE AND IF SO ANY RECEIPIES AND POINTERS?

Comments

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

I have never done it, but i would imagine you would use a standard recipe and cook it at the same temp you would in the oven. 

I would suggest using the platesetter legs up and set the pan of lasagna on the cooking grid.

Not sure there is any benefit for cooking a lasagna on the BGE, but let me know how it turns out.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Why not?  With a platesetter you can bake anything on the Egg you can in a stove.  The real question is would it be any different?  I suppose if you did it open top with strong smoke it might be.

Here are some veggies I did for a large cook, that were more or less done the way you would do lasagna.  They turned out great, but not any different than done inside.  I did them on the Egg, just because I wanted to.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Yes, just be careful about burning the edges.  I was not watching this one very close.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1132942&catid=1
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Sure, the Egg is just like an oven, just fueled by lump...and ovens used to be fueled by wood and coal anyway. Placesetter legs down and 3 lil green feet under your casserole dish. I've done mac n cheese before, among other casseroles.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    I did a curry on the bge last week and pilau rice, it took on great smoke flavour, grilled the chicken first and threw it in the sauce to finish, I would recommend doing anything you like on it, my wife said it was the best curry ever.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    sometimes cheese picks up too much smoke flavor, i might cook it mostly with sauce on top and add the last layer of cheese towards the end.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ShaneF
    ShaneF Posts: 26

Sure you CAN, but why not just cook it in the oven?? Unless you want smokey flavored lasanga...

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061

I did one not to long ago. It was really good. The temp was the same as a normal lasagna. The noodles and cheese picked up a hint of smoke and really enhanced the flavor.

Mark Annville, PA
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    fishless: foil for the majority of the cook and then remove the foil for browning and a little smoke.

mushroom lasagna is really good on the egg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I made chili on the egg last winter, but smoked a 7-bone roast by itself, let it cool, and then made the chili on the stove with it.  I would do a lasagna the same way.
    Wonder what smoking the noodles a bit before boiling would do?  Especially no-boil noodles?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.