Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing my first overnight, with a brisket, and doing some things different. *Pics as I go*

Options
2»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Me too Frank. It's pretty cool.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Canary
    Canary Posts: 37
    Options
    Bookmarked. Great thread. Never done a brisket but when I do, I'll track this thread closely.

Can you comment on the burnt ends? What's the purpose? Recipe? Where do you separate the end from the flat?
    If Canary can do it you can too!
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    That brisket looks great! I'm gonna give it another try soon. First try on the egg was ok. I have definitely made better.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    Bookmarked. Great thread. Never done a brisket but when I do, I'll track this thread closely.

Can you comment on the burnt ends? What's the purpose? Recipe? Where do you separate the end from the flat?
    The separation line is a layer of fat, that runs on a diagonal.  To me it's easier to see when the cut is cooked, but it's visible on the raw brisket, that thick band of fat that appears to be on the side, but actually goes all the way through.

As for a recipe, after the brisket flat gets to 190 or so, I take it off and separate it.  Then I cube the point into roughly 1" squares, sometimes smaller.  Then put those in a disposable aluminum pan and sprinkle some rub on liberally (same rub I used on the whole brisket which is one I made).  Then I add a splash of apple cider vinegar, lets say 2-3 tables spoons.  Then the same amount of apple juice (you could use beer, anything just to add a little flavor and get the rub to really adhere).  I mix this up by hand then apply a liberal coating of the rub again, and again mix by hand.  Finally make sure the cubes are spread out so the smoke can get to them, not too piled up.  Put back on the Egg which is still running at 225-275 or thereabouts.  I also throw a couple more chunks of wood on at this point for some new smoke.  I let them go for about an hour then open lid and stir them to expose more edges to the smoke.  

When you get done they will be dark all over, pretty much like a little cube of meat with bark on all sides.  Because they are so fatty, you don't really have to worry about over cooking them.  I've done them for over 3 hours and they were still fine.  Todays I just did for two hours.

Hope that helps explain them.  Sorry I can't be more helpful with the point/flat separation, I learned it from watching videos and looking at pics online.

Frank
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have some pics but can't get to until tomorrow. Bump this up tomorrow if you want to see them and i'll post.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Ill bump for pics.
    Btw, been thinking that the brisket home run derby here can be from 1) bad brisket posts not being written or 2) because of all the great knowledge being spread herepeople have more knowledge, and support.

Even if #1 is happening, I still think #2 is out weighing it.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have some pics but can't get to until tomorrow. Bump this up tomorrow if you want to see them and i'll post.
    This may help. You can see in pic 1 the layer of fat and connective tissue between the point and flat before cooking

Pic 2- you can see the layer after the cook as well

Pic 3- knife should slide though like butter. Just start to work it in gently until it slides on through

Pic-4 Underside of removed point- see how the grain runs multiple directions 

Pic 5 Underside of flat- see how grain runs all one way

Hope this helps

Centex