Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Brisket Question

MGOBlueMGOBlue Posts: 12
edited April 2012 in Beef
I'm going to try a brisket this weekend and I have a question.  Does it need to have the rub on it overnight or will a couple of hours be okay?  Thanks in advance for the help! 

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,932
    Moments before is what I do.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    Either way will work.   I like to have a few hours, with rub, wrapped in plastic in the fridge.   But I have done it moments before.   Depends on whether I had enough time or not.
    Cookin in Texas
  • I have a related question. I have a corned beef that I want to fix. Is it OK to do that on a BGE or is not lean enough?

I'm new to the BGE world and am learning by trial and error. I'd rather not waste this hunk o' beef by cooking it in the wrong way.

Thanks for any help!

• You would want to braise that corned beef. It's too trimmed to get tender on the egg before drying out
    Keeping it Weird in the ATX
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    1 Karubecue C60 (aka-"The Dishwasher")
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,452

CT,

You can make pastrami from corned beef and it's good. Soak it in cold water fora couple of days with some water changes. Coat with Montreal Steak Spice and smoke like a brisket. It is a brisket flat after all.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cool deal. Never had any luck getting smoke on trimmed down brisket. Too dry to me. Pastrami and corned beef are both brined and braised normally. Never had it smoked. Bet it's good if you do it right. I'd try it for sure.
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,953
    I don't do pastrami or corned beef or other anti-American cooks, but to answer  your question, put the rub on just prior to your cook.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,452
    So I can't interest you in some moose? Not that moose are anti-American or nothing like that

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Iike pastrami, corned beef, and moose. I eat em all.
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE