Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

additional grid space and adjustable cooking hieghts

Options
MikeP624
MikeP624 Posts: 292
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

I am looking into increasing my cooking area and the ability to adjust the grid levels.

I have seen the collapsible grid extender on the BGE site.  That would seem to add the additional cooking area i want, espcially for the low and slow cooks.  I could use the plate setter, standard grid then the collapsible grid extender. Does anyone use this set up?  Anybody got a better set up they could suggest?  Is the collapsible grid extender stable, especially for large cuts of meat?

I have heard good things about the adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store (see photo below).  But it appears that it would render the plate setter useless.  Seeing that i just bought the plate setter i would like to keep using it.  It appears with the rig i would need to buy a stone, for some fire bricks to create the indirect cooking. 

Any body use the spider from the ceramic grill store to lower the cooking level?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be nice.

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I have the platesetter and grid extender from bge. Works well for me and is stable. You can also use it to sear steaks down low. I think the above pic is adj. rig and spider. I've heard Tom is coming out with a platesetter woo, which allows you to use the platesetter for the indirect part. I bought most of my equipment before I knew about these other options.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options

If i would have know about the adjustable rig i would have not got the plate setter and just bought a stone or fire bricks.  The adjustable rig seems to be able to handle just about anything.

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Yep, I'm interested in that platesetter woo though. I like the platesetter.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    I use the adjustable rig and spider...awesome product for the egg! A 13" stone goes down on the spider for indirect...no platesetter.

I also use the small BGE cast iron grid down on the spider for searing just above the coals.

Other good use for the spider is a stand for a wok, CI skillets, dutch ovens. Overall, the spider by itself is pretty useful....I'd recommend it even if your're forgoing the adjustable rig and sticking with the platesetter.
  • What Mighty Quinn said. The AR is great! And I too use the spider often. Tom is also very helpful and great to deal with.
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I have an email in to Tom as we speak. There is a plate setter woo coming out "late April" according to his website. I'm definitely getting the AR but wanted to talk to him about the while kit before deciding on the final configuration.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    If you want adjustable grid heights and still keep the functionality of the plate setter then you may want to check out www.creamicgrillworks.com and their two-tier rig.  I use it and it it works well with the plate setter to expand the cooking surface.  Easy access to the below top grid height cooks and very well built.  And no I do not work for the company-just happy with the product but to be fair you could get to almost the same space with fire bricks and another grid-just not the ease of access.  Either way will expand the cooking area-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Eidt to the above (fat finger exercise) www.ceramicgrillworks.com sorry 'bout that-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.