Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The great mustard debate......

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK- Throwing a brisket on in 15-20 min. I put mustard on half the brisket (both sides of most of the flat) and put no mustard on the upper flat and point. I put the exact same rub and without measuring, the exact same amount of rub. When it's done tomorrow, we'll check out the crust and see which one (if either) is better, different, worse than the other.

My thought is that there will be no difference but it came up earlier and I want to see for myself. I've done plenty of both but really didn't notice much difference. I really don't have a dog in this fight as far as which is better. I just want to know so I can move forward with the best one.

Pic 1) 1/2 the flat covered in mustard (same on both sides)
Pic 2) Rub applied to brisket
Pic 3) after 15 min. Standing on side- no rub fell of either side (showing me that no binder is needed, but we'll see after the cook)
Pic 4) 2nd coat of rub applied.

headed to the egg now.....Keep you updated

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I always mustard my pork butts so I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your brisket.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• this was 45- min after the rub was applied. A nice slurry of rub had formed on both sides. On the egg now.............
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    We made a brisket and used Worcestershire Sauce on the meat before applying the rub, the brisket tasted great so we will do it that way again.

Gerhard
  • We made a brisket and used Worcestershire Sauce on the meat before applying the rub, the brisket tasted great so we will do it that way again.

Gerhard
    That brisket looked awesome too!. the mustard does not really impart any flavor, it is used as a binder for the rub. Worcestershire would act as both flavoring agent and binder so that is another test altogether...stay tuned.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    Science!  

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• Science!  
    Nice!
  • OK- Throwing a brisket on in 15-20 min. I put mustard on half the brisket (both sides of most of the flat) and put no mustard on the upper flat and point. I put the exact same rub and without measuring, the exact same amount of rub. When it's done tomorrow, we'll check out the crust and see which one (if either) is better, different, worse than the other.

My thought is that there will be no difference but it came up earlier and I want to see for myself. I've done plenty of both but really didn't notice much difference. I really don't have a dog in this fight as far as which is better. I just want to know so I can move forward with the best one.

Pic 1) 1/2 the flat covered in mustard (same on both sides)
    Pic 2) Rub applied to brisket
    Pic 3) after 15 min. Standing on side- no rub fell of either side (showing me that no binder is needed, but we'll see after the cook)
    Pic 4) 2nd coat of rub applied.

headed to the egg now.....Keep you updated

This is actually pic 4 with 2nd coat of rub
  • Pic 1) 1am, just locked into the plateau @ 156. The drink had firmly taken hold.............time to sleep

Pic 2) 9:09 am- Still in the plateau 8 hrs later!!!!!! Locked in at 154.

Egg temp dropped some in the night (no biggie) - we are having 25-30mph winds swirling all over the place and this fire has been like riding lightning. First time in a while I've had temp swings like this during a cook.

Pic 3) If anyone asks you if it's a good idea for 7 13 year old boys to spend the night in your home, the correct answer is no. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    CTS, Better than 7 13 year old girls. Least the boys just mess up one room

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CTS, Better than 7 13 year old girls. Least the boys just mess up one room
    That's the only room I felt comfortable showing for legal reasons. There is a bathing suit in my front yard and more shoes than people. We might have lost one in the night.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Monitoring the progress ...

Next can we run a test with fat cap up versus fat cap down on a brisket?  

Cookin in Texas
  • Monitoring the progress ...

Yes. I'm very curious about that one as well. 

Yes. I'm very curious about that one as well. 
    This one is cap up BTW. Didn't want to add another variable other than the mustard so I kept everything else the same as I normally do it.

• Finally climbing out of the plateau at 10:41 am. That would be almost 10 hours in the plateau! That might be a new record for me.

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Finally climbing out of the plateau at 10:41 am. That would be almost 10 hours in the plateau! That might be a new record for me.

Has to be the half mustard, half no mustard confusing the egg as to how long to plateau the brisket. :-)
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,129
    Finally climbing out of the plateau at 10:41 am. That would be almost 10 hours in the plateau! That might be a new record for me.

Has to be the half mustard, half no mustard confusing the egg as to how long to plateau the brisket. :-)
    I would be VERY interested in also learning why the extra long stall?  What was particular about this brisket?  Marbling?  Hrmm...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Finally climbing out of the plateau at 10:41 am. That would be almost 10 hours in the plateau! That might be a new record for me.

I would be VERY interested in also learning why the extra long stall?  What was particular about this brisket?  Marbling?  Hrmm...

It's not the marbling. This is a crappy select brisket I bought to take pics and try some new stuff (the mustard etc). Temps were low (200-220) so it just hung there for a while. Crazy long stall but hopefully it's turning this select piece of shoe leather into a gooey delicious ethereal piece of meat. I've had some selects turn out great before but i still look for choice and higher when I can. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Great idea. I am thoroughly interested in this.

PS, my pork shoulder turned out great, thanks for the tips!
  • Great idea. I am thoroughly interested in this.

PS, my pork shoulder turned out great, thanks for the tips!
    Awesome. Pork as a way of doing that. It's just good :)

Is your egg broken? :) Why don't you get on that and report back?

Kidding- I've always wondered too so I'll do it in the next few weeks. 
  • As someone who doesn't like mustard I have always shy'd away from trying this. I'm trying olive oil as a binder for the pork butt I just finished rubbing.

Can't wait to see how your's turns out. Definitely getting me excited to do my second pork butt (First that I am going to pull).  
  • As someone who doesn't like mustard I have always shy'd away from trying this. I'm trying olive oil as a binder for the pork butt I just finished rubbing.

Can't wait to see how your's turns out. Definitely getting me excited to do my second pork butt (First that I am going to pull).  
    Definitely do not use oil as a binder. That makes for soft crust. You don't need any binder at all as you can see by the photos I posted. There is plenty of moisture in a brisket or but to hold the rub. This brisket is about to come off and the crust on both sides (mustard and no mustard) is hit-with-a-hammer thick and hard. maybe too hard. I haven't cut it yet, but both sides have an unbelievable crust. 

Definitely do not use oil as a binder. That makes for soft crust. You don't need any binder at all as you can see by the photos I posted. There is plenty of moisture in a brisket or but to hold the rub. This brisket is about to come off and the crust on both sides (mustard and no mustard) is hit-with-a-hammer thick and hard. maybe too hard. I haven't cut it yet, but both sides have an unbelievable crust. 
    You want any binder to be water based so it evaporates and binds the rub to the meat. Oils do not cook off at low and slow temps and keep the rub moist the entire cook (therefore, no crust).

MM- Every brisket is different. That's what makes them so finicky. This one has been weird from the start. This is the kind of brisket that would drive new brisket cooks nuts. It stalled out forever, then came ripping out of the stall like it was on fire, then stalled out again at 178 for 2 hours. Now it's coming out of that fast. This what beer was made for :)
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,129
    Just wondering if any particular quality stood out about this one.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Just wondering if any particular quality stood out about this one.
    it's cheapness :)

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    I have used Tabasco Chipotle Sauce as a binder before and it worked super good. It even added some extra flavor to the bark.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • OK- Results are IN. After 18+ hours on the pit and 10 of that in the stall................according to 4 people (3 of whom did not know the criteria of the test and me).........no difference at all. The non-fat cap side had such thick crust it was actually too much. The fat cap side was freaking perfect. The crust was still very firm but not too firm. There were parts of the crust on the non fat cap side that you could not even cut through. Once rested a little it softened up perfectly but I wanted to see it right off the pit to get a true picture of what each method produced. There was zero mustard taste, the rub did not stick better to the mustard side, and the crust was no firmer or softer on the mustard side. You literally could tell no difference. For a select brisket that was a full week past it's sell date, it was pretty good. 

I used a base layer of dizzy dust and let that soak in for 15 minutes, then added a layer of Salt Lick Rub. I usually do not double rub and I won't do it again. Too much crust to the point that it was hard to break through with a knife.

Well, my work here is done. I have a belly full of brisket and a (large) cup full of Tito's. Pretty good little Saturday if you ask me.

In my mind anyway, mustard myth BUSTED. Will go back to old way of just dry rub and smoke.

Cen-Tex OUT

• Definitely do not use oil as a binder. That makes for soft crust. You don't need any binder at all as you can see by the photos I posted. There is plenty of moisture in a brisket or but to hold the rub. This brisket is about to come off and the crust on both sides (mustard and no mustard) is hit-with-a-hammer thick and hard. maybe too hard. I haven't cut it yet, but both sides have an unbelievable crust. 
    Interesting I didn't slather it in oil like I see people do with mustard and from your pictures I didn't put as much rub as you did. I like a thick crust but others in the house aren't a big fan so I didn't lay it on too thick. Maybe I will benefit from the softer crust when I go to pull it anyway. We shall see. Excellent cook, you have me drooling over here! 
  • Definitely do not use oil as a binder. That makes for soft crust. You don't need any binder at all as you can see by the photos I posted. There is plenty of moisture in a brisket or but to hold the rub. This brisket is about to come off and the crust on both sides (mustard and no mustard) is hit-with-a-hammer thick and hard. maybe too hard. I haven't cut it yet, but both sides have an unbelievable crust. 
    Interesting I didn't slather it in oil like I see people do with mustard and from your pictures I didn't put as much rub as you did. I like a thick crust but others in the house aren't a big fan so I didn't lay it on too thick. Maybe I will benefit from the softer crust when I go to pull it anyway. We shall see. Excellent cook, you have me drooling over here! 
    It will be good if you like softer crust. my neighbor was using olive oil on briskets and could not get good solid crust. I walked through the process with him and when I saw the olive oil I told him to stop and see if that helped. next cook- huge crust. That is the only evidence i have so there may be ways to do it. His briskets were still good, he was just looking to tweak the crust and that worked for him. Let me know how it works. I'm interested.