Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken wing recipes

billyray
billyray Posts: 1,275
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have any good chicken wing or thigh recipes?
Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I like DP Swamp Venom or Dizzy Dust with some cayenne on wings. Cluck and sqeal is good to. Dust wings with a little cornstach after the rubs and grill raised direct at 275*. If you like throw them in a little hot sauce butter mix and throw them back on the egg for five minutes to crisp

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• billyray
    What's the corn starch do for you? What hot sauce do you like?
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited January 2012
    If you like buffalo style wings I have mastered a recipe that will knock your socks off.

Season rinsed and dried wings with your favorite cajun rub and a little garlic powder and onion powder. Add some dashes of Louisiana hot sauce, I like Frank's. Set aside for at least an hour and let sit. 

Fire up egg to 300-350, I go platesetter legs up/indirect. Toss on the wings and brush or spray on Canola oil. Cook for 30-45 minutes, careful about hotspots and then flip wings. Apply Canola oil again and cook another 30-45 minutes or until desired doneness.

Meanwhile, simmer the remaining Louisiana hotsauce in a saucepan with 1 large bottle of the sauce, a generous dash of garlic powder, onion powder, cracked black pepper and red pepper flakes. Add a chunk of butter (bout a quarter stick) and add about a tablespoon of honey, or more to taste. Let simmer.

Now pull your wings off the egg and place in large bowl. After your sauce has simmered, poor over the wings and toss, saving some sauce. 

Now remove the platesetter and throw the sauced wings back on for a couple minutes, turning frequently. They will get nice char on them. Pull them off,  and toss them in the remaining sauce. Serve with blue cheese dressing and a cold beer.

Be prepared to make them again because everyone will love them. They are spicy though but the more honey you add to the sauce the milder they become.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2012
    The Houston Chronicle had a recipe for "Plucked Raven Wings" just before the Texan/Ravens playoff game.  I made them and they were excellent.  It's actually wings baked in a raspberry chipotle sauce.

5 pounds Chicken wings, large
    1 medium Onion , quartered
    4 stalks Celery, quartered
    4 cloves Garlic, cut in half
    2 teaspoons Sage, dry, rubbed
    2 teaspoons Thyme, dried
    1 Bay leaf
    1 ¾ cups Chicken broth
    Water
    Raspberry Chipotle Sauce, See recipe
    Directions:

1. Place wings in a large stock pot.  Add onion, celery, garlic, sage, thyme and bay leaf to the pot.

2. Add chicken broth then add enough water to barely cover the wings and veggies.

3. Cover the lid and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes. (Stir and skim off any foam at about the 8 minute mark)

4. Remove lid and let cool for 15 minutes

5. Preheat oven to 450°.  Strain the wings, discarding veggies and the cooking liquids.

6. Toss wings in the sauce.

7. Place wings on a lightly greased foiled baking pan.  Pour some sauce over the wings.

8. Bake wings for 25 minutes.  Serve hot.

Raspberry Chipotle Sauce
    2 tablespoons Butter
    ½ Onion, Sweet, minced
    3 cloves Garlic, minced
    3 teaspoons Chipolte in Adobo sauce, chopped
    ¼ cup Balsamic Vinegar
    ½ cup Raspberry Jelly, or seedless jam
    Salt
    Directions:

1. Heat a heavy saucepan over medium high heat.  Add butter and onion.

2. Reduce heat to medium and cook onion until soft and translucent

3. Add garlic and chipotle chiles and cook, stirring frequently for two minutes.

4. Deglaze the pan using balsamic vinegar.

5. Add raspberry jam and salt, to taste, stirring until mixture is smooth.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

@billyray

Cornstach binds to the skin so the chicken actually fries and crisps up beautifully.  Arizona Gunslinger is my favourite hot sauce. It isn't all that hot but it has a really fresh flavour.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    WOW good looking wings Gary. I like Bad Byrons Butt Rub cooked at 400 direct high in the dome. Don't forget turkey legs cooked the same...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• billyray
    Thanks for all the great info., will try some tonight.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited January 2012

Piri-Piri Chicken Wings in the style of Nando's is always good and a bit different if you can find the Piri-Piri Hot sauce.

http://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2011/09/03/piri-piri-chicken-wings-in-the-style-of-nandos/

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• This is how I do wings... I have tried a few ways including some much more complex, but I keep coming back to this general technique. I love the flavor but this thread has given me a lot of other ideas to try. 

- Dry wings and season with McCormick Mojito Lime rub. I happened to try it, and it happened to be good. Yay!
    - Cook on an elevated grid, direct, at about 350-400F. Cook 'em til they are done, maybe 20 minutes? Flip once. Hickory chips work for me here, YMMV. 
    - While wings are cooking, mix butter and Frank's Red Hot sauce on the stove. Use any proportions you like: it's butter and Frank's, you can't screw it up. Add ketchup, maple syrup, habanero, etc if you want but I find the basic sauce is best. 
    - When the wings are done, toss them in the sauce and put them back on the Egg at reduced temperature with some fresh wood chips. Let them soak up more smoke for 5-10 minutes. 

• billyray

@VI

Look what I found in the pantry.image Will be doing some wings in about an hour.

• docbipe
    docbipe Posts: 28
    I start with brining. I use half cider vinegar and half apple juice, mixed with onions hot sauce, or what ever your taste fancies you at the time. Just put your flavors in the juice. I let them sit for about 2 hours. Drain the juices well, dump them into a bowl and add a splash of olive oil, sparingly. this increases you chance of flare ups. When they are done, I usually divide them up, and coat them with whatever sauce you can come up with. I use Quaker Steak and Lube sauces, which are available here at Giant Eagle. You can put your own BBQ on just before you remove them from the grill for a more traditional flavor.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    JerkChicken, great recipe. Tried it last night for the first time on Egg. Thanks for the info!
  • billyray

Village Idiot;

I deleted the pic, but got it back.image

• billyray

Village Idiot;

I more try.image

• Tank_NZ
    Tank_NZ Posts: 53
    edited January 2012
    Here are some I did a while back - I change the sauce from time to time - but they come out great each and every time (and are easy as heck):

• @Billyray.  Yeah, I also have bottled Raspberry Chipoltle Sauce (a different brand). I typically like food a little hotter than store bought items, so I like to make my own.  However, that sure would work.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    If you like buffalo style wings I have mastered a recipe that will knock your socks off.

Thanks jerkchicken...did this last night was really good...

(I have no ides where the quote button is)
  • billyray

@JerkChicken Meanwhile, simmer the remaining Louisiana hotsauce in a saucepan with 1 large bottle of the sauce.

What is the quantity of the remaining Louisiana hot sauce?

• I like this one. I will be grilling it on Suday
    Located in Western North Carolina