Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kiwi Wings

Tank_NZ
Tank_NZ Posts: 53
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK - I went to get some Kiwi wings - but they get a little funny when you kill our endangered bird (The Kiwi)

Kiwi-NA12_A3.jpg

So had to make do with Chicken wings.

Wings tossed in flour, <strike> cornflour </strike> (edit: I believe that you refer to this as cornmeal in the US) and paprika. Left in the fridge for 1/2 a day to dry out.

Cooked at 375 indirect using the 30-20-10 process (30 mins, turn 20 mins, toss in sauce, 10 mins)

Used Franks red hot and butter for the sause.

Was nice and crisp on the outside, nice tender and moist inside. a winner.

IMG_6073.JPG

IMG_6074.JPG

Comments

• Wow those really look terrific. Making buffalo wings the egg are probably one of my favorite things to make. Lot less messy than deep frying and much healthier! I am really going to have to start breading the wings before going on because your's look delicious!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Tank your wings look very good. I bet there were no leftovers. Tim ;)
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Now that's good looking Kiwi! Glad to see you posting Tank!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Tank would you spatchcock a Kiwi :whistle: sorry...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RogerT
    RogerT Posts: 53
    Tank,

Great looking wings you have there! When you say cornflower, do you mean corn starch or rather corn that has been ground into flour. Being on the other side of the world creates some language difficulties at times. :huh:
  • Those look awesome, how much butter/franks did you use?
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Awesome wings! :cheer: I've been going indirect lately and bumping up the dome temp and get excellent results. Your wings are definitely a winner, thanks for sharing! Enjoy the spring weather down there. P.S. Hope the country is recovering from the earthquake.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Nice! I think I'll try that method next time.
    Thanks!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Good looking wings, Tank! I have not tried the flour/indirect method yet, your pics convinced me I need to.
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    No idea of Tanks mix but I use 2c. Franks and 1/4 stick of melted butter. Less butter = hotter sauce, more butter = less hot. Mike
  • Tank_NZ
    RogerT wrote:
    Tank,

Great looking wings you have there! When you say cornflower, do you mean corn starch or rather corn that has been ground into flour. Being on the other side of the world creates some language difficulties at times. :huh:

Its a corn meal (finely ground) - just a little to help dry it out a little.

Mickey wrote:
    Tank would you spatchcock a Kiwi :whistle: sorry...

My wifes English. She trys to keep me away from the local girls ;)

Clay Q wrote:
    Awesome wings! :cheer: I've been going indirect lately and bumping up the dome temp and get excellent results. Your wings are definitely a winner, thanks for sharing! Enjoy the spring weather down there. P.S. Hope the country is recovering from the earthquake.

Thanks - Its going to be a long hard slog in Christchurch (its at the other end of the island) - but they breed 'em tough down there. And loving Spring (at last)

and Drewski - I used a 680ml bottle of Franks with 200gms butter. Tons to much - but the unused stays in the fridge - Im pretty sure it wont be long until I make this again.
  • Eggerman1
    Eggerman1 Posts: 155
    Thanks for this recipe, I mis understood and used corn starch instead of corn flour and they were unbelievable. My wife and I both looked at each other and realized we had stumbled onto the way wings should be grilled. Thanks again, awesome recipe!
  • I am trying these wings here in a little bit. Thanks for the directions and ideas. They look awesome!

• i made these tonight left the hot sauce on the wifes she thought they were the best i put sauce on mine me too ! thank you!
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Mawger
    Mawger Posts: 40
    OMG, they sure look awesome!  Gotta try these next.  Thanks for the info, too.
  • Where is the kiwi fruit, served on the side??????

Did you consider splashing them with kiwi juice?????

:)) :)) :))
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Tank,

In the British commonwealth cornflour and cornstarch are interchangeable terms. Not so in the US

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven - I will go back and edit the post so it is more clear - I believe it is what you folk call Corn Starch (Its yellow and grainy).
  • Tank,

Cornstarch is very fine like potato or rice starch or arrowroot. What you describe sounds like cornmeal. I've used cornstarch on poultry for many years to help the skin crisp and have never tried cornmeal. I'm in Canada so that was why I pointed out the terminology. Cornflour is similar grind to wheat flour here.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Made these last night for Super Bowl. Cooked indirect at 375 using 30/20/10. Coating used equal flour and cornmeal w decent sprinkle of paprika. Dried coated wings in fridge for 6hrs. Loved them.

Next time will cook at 350, some got a little too crispy. I cooked 36 wings on my large. Every inch of grid was covered. Wings in 3 areas where plate setter curves were burnt, prob do no more than 24-30 next time so all are truly indirect. Great recipe, healthier than frying and very crispy wings. My wife loved them and she has not lied my bge wings.
    Roll Tide Roll!
  • Tank_NZ
    edited February 2012

Tank,

What you describe sounds like cornmeal.

I just phoned the wife - She know a lot more about this kind of thing than I - she confirmed it was Cornmeal.  I will edit the post (again).  Thanks and sorry to all for the confusion - we have to get you guys talking the same English as us  ;-) 
  • Not gonna happen man! They spell without any U's and pronounce Zed zee. Sometimes they put Zeds where S's should be. (wink)

Steve 

Caledon, ON