Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Lunch! Bistro Teres Major

joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum

Here is a new one for me.  I found Bistro Teres Major steaks in my local butcher shop in the freezer.  I have never seen these anywhere else, so I thought I would give them a try.  First I did a little research online on the cut and I found this:

“The teres major is a seldom used muscle in the shoulder that is second
only to the tenderloin filet in tenderness. This muscle requires skilled
craftsman to extract, but yields a wonderful dining experience and is a new
leader in trendy white table cloth restaurants.  The teres major steak is also referred to as a shoulder tender. If sliced
into medallions, they are appropriately named petite tender medallions.“

I fired up the large egg today and decided to give these a try...it turned out excellent.  What a great cut of meat that is very inexpensive (note the price!) - and I would rate it right up there with the filet.  Leftovers are going to become steak fajitas.  Here are the pics.

Meat Label:

I marinated them for about an hour in Andria's (local MO/IL marinade/basting sauce):

After I got the Egg to 500 degree, then I lightly salt and peppered the steaks.  I cooked them for about 4 minutes per side basting when I turned them over:

Final product - they came out just a hair under medium and were very juicy and flavorful with the Andria's which is not an over-powering type marinade.  It has a perfect blend of saltiness and garlic flavor that complements a steak and doesn't mask the natural flavor:

Comments