Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lunch! Bistro Teres Major

joe@bge
joe@bge Posts: 394
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum

Here is a new one for me.  I found Bistro Teres Major steaks in my local butcher shop in the freezer.  I have never seen these anywhere else, so I thought I would give them a try.  First I did a little research online on the cut and I found this:

“The teres major is a seldom used muscle in the shoulder that is second
only to the tenderloin filet in tenderness. This muscle requires skilled
craftsman to extract, but yields a wonderful dining experience and is a new
leader in trendy white table cloth restaurants.  The teres major steak is also referred to as a shoulder tender. If sliced
into medallions, they are appropriately named petite tender medallions.“

I fired up the large egg today and decided to give these a try...it turned out excellent.  What a great cut of meat that is very inexpensive (note the price!) - and I would rate it right up there with the filet.  Leftovers are going to become steak fajitas.  Here are the pics.

Meat Label:

I marinated them for about an hour in Andria's (local MO/IL marinade/basting sauce):

After I got the Egg to 500 degree, then I lightly salt and peppered the steaks.  I cooked them for about 4 minutes per side basting when I turned them over:

Final product - they came out just a hair under medium and were very juicy and flavorful with the Andria's which is not an over-powering type marinade.  It has a perfect blend of saltiness and garlic flavor that complements a steak and doesn't mask the natural flavor:

Comments