Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

New Egg Owner

bamafan62bamafan62 Posts: 137
edited December 2011 in Poultry
I am picking up my large BGE tomorrow.  I am planning on cooking two turkeys for Christmas.  My son has brined both and removed the backbone.  Any suggestions on cooking and handling instructions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance

• A pecan oil rub with salt and pepper. Cook at 350 until internal temp is 140. Remove and tent in foil and let carryover do the rest and use the platesetter legs up
  • Thank you very much!  Greatly appreciated!

• hogaholichogaholic Posts: 225
    edited December 2011
    I did the Mad Max turkey with gravy last year with great success.  Easy peasy.  So easy even a bammer can do it   :)>-

Link to Mad Max turkey method

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 15,899
    With the backbone removed you are obviously cooking spatchcock style.  Set up and cook as banzaitoyota mentions above-I go to 160 in the breast.  Did a 15# spatchcock for Thanksgiving and took just under 2.5 hours-FYI-
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.
  • I cook to the temps I do because I know the person who raises my turkeys and I know the processing house. My bird is very tender and moist
  • Thanks for the help.  I have posted asking for help because my brand new plate setter cracked on my first try on the EGG.  Not a good way to start!