Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sweet potato or yams

Squeezy
Squeezy Posts: 1,102
edited November 2011 in Vegetables

Scrub 'em clean ... leave skin on.

Slice 1" to 1½" thick

Paint with your favorite veg. oil or butter

Season to your own taste.

Egg at 350º approx. indirect or watch carefully direct. (natural sugars burn easy)

... and I like to drizzle a wee bit of maple syrup just before taking them off the grill.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.

Comments

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Stupid question, but how do you know when they're "done"?
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Squeezy
    edited November 2011

They are much like other hard veggies, I just give 'em a little squeeze with tongs or fingers.

I err on the side of over done.

Time is quite variable due to heat & thickness.

• Squeezy
    That just defeats the purpose ... sliced, they don't take a long time and I like to get a hint of smoke on 'em ....
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I always par cook the potatoes. Throw them on a hot grill and they sizzle, get a nice crust and they are done.

It's mostly a timing thing. Potatoes take longer than most vegetables I cook so if I par cook they are all done at the same time. It's all good par or not.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    It's an age thing.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Squeezy

Gosh!

Next we'll be back to parboiling ribs 'cause it's quicker!

I put two chickens on @ 380º and 30 min. later I put on the sweet potatos ... 40 min. later all was done. Turned them once.

• Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Personal preference - I put whole potatoes and yams on the egg on the half moon raised grid before I put the meat on. Always works for me. Never par cooked.

I'm going to have to try sliced yams direct on the grill. Will try par cooked though for this.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    sliced sweet potatoes cook quickly. we do them dry, then brush with a little oil and salt pepper to serve.  can also just toss them with olive oil first before cooking, but it makes no diff
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Has anyone tried cooking them whole, in the skin?  I had one at a restaurant the other night, whole, in the skin with butter and brown sugar.  Wow!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • An egger I know puts them right on the coals and pulls them out after the protien is done. I'm not fond of either yams or sweet potatoes but they are pretty good that way.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sweet Taters are one of the best food in the universe, up there with Bacon in my book.  You can fry them too, and they taste like a million angels flew over and sprinkled heavenly angel seasoning on them!  with a little salt.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • When I have been in the south after working in really hot temps for long hours, and then getting the first beer, I have heard the term like angel's ____ on the tongue

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little, haha.  The Real South or just South of where you live?  There aint nothing much better than a ice cold Diesel Bud to wash down the dust, hay and peach fuzz from a hot southern summer day.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Squeezy
    I like 'em sliced open to receive that kiss of smoke ... adds a nice dimension to the natural sweetness.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Sweet Taters are one of the best food in the universe, up there with Bacon in my book.  You can fry them too, and they taste like a million angels flew over and sprinkled heavenly angel seasoning on them!  with a little salt.

Paul
    If you'd like to really make your taste buds dance then hit those freshly fried sweet taters with just a light kiss of powdered sugar.  You can thank me by making a donation to your local miniature Canadian drunkard support group. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Has anyone tried cooking them whole, in the skin?  I had one at a restaurant the other night, whole, in the skin with butter and brown sugar.  Wow! Yep, you can twice bake them if you want, much like squash. Try to select a sweet potato that is shaped like an Idaho baker if you can. Olive oil and indirect at 400F until she is soft, be careful and go through the twice bake routine except, other than mashing the inside and adding some brown sugar and butter, put the insides back and you are done. They can be put in the fridge, just like twice bakers for a day or two if you want or right on the grill to brown.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!