Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bobby Flay's Asian Spice Rubbed Ribs

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Got some St. Louis style ribs at H.E.B. yesterday and plan to see if I can duplicate Bobby Flay's 2 hour cook on his BBQ Addiction show. The recipe calls for a bunch of stuff we don't have handy but I'm thinking the Egg will make up for whatever is missing.

He says "If using the kamado-style ceramic charcoal cooker:" "...... put the ribs on the grill, top-side down, directly over the coals and cook until golden brown and a crust has formed, about 10 minutes. Remove the ribs and rack and put in the ceramic plate. Put one disposable pan of steaming liquid on the plate, then return the rack and the ribs to the grill. Cover and cook until ribs are tender and juicy, about 2 hours. Add water as necessary to prevent scorching, and coals to keept the internal temperature between 225 and 250 degrees F."

When he says, "steaming liquid," he is actually saying that the ribs will be steamed inside the Egg (Ooops, I mean kamado-style ceramic charcoal cooker.) They looked good but will have to be REALLY good to come close to my last batch.

We'll see. ~:>

Spring "Proud To Be A Kamado-Style Ceramic Charcoal Cooker Cook" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• leeflash
    leeflash Posts: 66
    Options
    Ive cooked that style before.Your right,they are steamed cooked and are pretty good.But nothing like the 3-2-1 method.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Eagerly awaiting your finished results!!
  • bayouegger
    bayouegger Posts: 287
    Options
    Are you going to try the BBQ sauce too? If so, let us know how it comes out. Everything looked GREAT on that show. Over time I really want to try and make every dish from that episode.

Steve
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I would like to see your thoughts and pictures Leroy.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    After learning more about one of the ingredients, star anise, I've decided not to use Flay's recipe. Plus, it was 107° in the Coop today and will be tomorrow. That's reason enough to freeze the ribs until a cooler day and a more 'Texas' type recipe.

Spring "Too Hot To Cook" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    I would like to see the recipe if you choose to make it. I don't blame you for waiting for cooler weather. I have been enjoying this show, but I haven't seen this episode yet... still waiting on the DVR.

Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Egg Juju - Here's his recipe but I won't be using it. Instead, I was more interested in his cooking method. He cooked the ribs direct, meat side down for about 10 minutes and then installed a plate setter and a pan of liquid to finish off the cook indirect @ 225 to 250 degrees for 2 hours. He called it 'steaming' them. I can do that with my own rub. And if ribs are really good you don't need sauce anyway.

Spring "It Will Have To Cool Down To Make Steam Here" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Thanks Chicken... I downloaded the recipe already from Food Network the other day.  I would like to try several of his recipes from this show, but I agree with you.  It will be hard to get me to do baby backs any other way than I currently do.   :D 

Juju

Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I'm glad you are trying the technique.  I was curious but not curious enough to gamble a rack of ribs
    :D
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This