Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Bag-to-bag variance in lump?

horsefleshhorseflesh Posts: 204
edited 3:02PM in EggHead Forum
I just restocked on Lazzari mesquite lump and noticed that this stuff has a strong, kind of weird smell when lit. After letting it burn and settle in for 20+ mins the smell is diminishing.

My last bag of Lazzari (which was also my first bag) wasn't like this. It was ready to cook on in 5-10 mins.

Is this sort of variability within the same brand common?

No big deal if it is... just curious what to expect in the future.

Thanks!

Comments

• I have not noticed a smell difference but I sure do see the quality difference in what I am getting. I use Wicked Good, Orange and RO mostly. The Orange is now including logs (huge pieces of lump) that are ridiculous. I have seen the same in Wicked. RO has chunks of blackened dirt clods. Didn't used to be this way. Maybe a lot of price pressure causing them to make bad decisions..

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

• smbishopsmbishop Posts: 1,536
    I am new at this, but my last bag of BGE was a lot of dust, small pieces and more rocks than I had seen in the past..
    Large, Small, and a LOT of Eggcessories!  Southlake, TX
  • horsefleshhorseflesh Posts: 204
    smbishop wrote:
    I am new at this, but my last bag of BGE was a lot of dust, small pieces and more rocks than I had seen in the past..

Me too! My last bag of BGE from Sutter Home was pretty bad that way... AND it was $32 out the door, ouch!
  • TurkTurk Posts: 114
    BGE is way too expensive. It is made by Royal Oak. I go with Cowboy and Royal Oak and Kroger in a pinch.
  • horsefleshhorseflesh Posts: 204
    Unfortunately I haven't found RO anywhere in my area. I need to call a distributor.
  • Gator Bait Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hi horseflesh,

Call Royal Oak, ask for customer service and ask them. Last I knew the number was 678-461-3200. I believe that is in Roswell, GA. When I talked to them a couple years ago they were making BGE, Kroger and Publix as well as RO. Most people this time of year can find RO at Wally World, 10# for $6.37. Publix down here has been $5.99 for 8.8#. Some Wally Worlds carry it as a seasonal item and it may disappear from their shelves in the fall.

Blair

• transversaltransversal Posts: 719
    The BGE is just too expensive. I use RO almost exclusively.....plenty of it available all the time right down the street at a local grocer. I have found it reasonably consistent, including the occasional boulders in the bag> :laugh: