Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bag-to-bag variance in lump?

horseflesh
horseflesh Posts: 206
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just restocked on Lazzari mesquite lump and noticed that this stuff has a strong, kind of weird smell when lit. After letting it burn and settle in for 20+ mins the smell is diminishing.

My last bag of Lazzari (which was also my first bag) wasn't like this. It was ready to cook on in 5-10 mins.

Is this sort of variability within the same brand common?

No big deal if it is... just curious what to expect in the future.

Thanks!

Comments

• I have not noticed a smell difference but I sure do see the quality difference in what I am getting. I use Wicked Good, Orange and RO mostly. The Orange is now including logs (huge pieces of lump) that are ridiculous. I have seen the same in Wicked. RO has chunks of blackened dirt clods. Didn't used to be this way. Maybe a lot of price pressure causing them to make bad decisions..

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I am new at this, but my last bag of BGE was a lot of dust, small pieces and more rocks than I had seen in the past..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • horseflesh
    smbishop wrote:
    I am new at this, but my last bag of BGE was a lot of dust, small pieces and more rocks than I had seen in the past..

Me too! My last bag of BGE from Sutter Home was pretty bad that way... AND it was $32 out the door, ouch!
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    BGE is way too expensive. It is made by Royal Oak. I go with Cowboy and Royal Oak and Kroger in a pinch.
  • horseflesh
    Unfortunately I haven't found RO anywhere in my area. I need to call a distributor.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hi horseflesh,

Call Royal Oak, ask for customer service and ask them. Last I knew the number was 678-461-3200. I believe that is in Roswell, GA. When I talked to them a couple years ago they were making BGE, Kroger and Publix as well as RO. Most people this time of year can find RO at Wally World, 10# for $6.37. Publix down here has been $5.99 for 8.8#. Some Wally Worlds carry it as a seasonal item and it may disappear from their shelves in the fall.

Blair

• transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    The BGE is just too expensive. I use RO almost exclusively.....plenty of it available all the time right down the street at a local grocer. I have found it reasonably consistent, including the occasional boulders in the bag> :laugh: