Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

deckle on a brisket

cherokeercherokeer Posts: 45
edited 3:47AM in EggHead Forum
I just bought a brisket with a deckle. Is the deckle the point used for burnt ends? Thanks.
·

Comments

• loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    Any chance of a pic?
    ·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    No, the deckle is a mixture of hard fat & cartilage. The label should read "Whole Brisket, Deckle Off". I suppose you could have the deckle still on if it was processed by a smaller plant, but it's weird enough looking that most cutters would remove it anyways.

For some reason some folks do refer to the point as the deckle, but it's not. The point is the forward end of the brisket (that's sometimes why the old hands call it the "nose") and the deckle is trimmed from the inside face (the side opposite the fat cap, which is the outside face).
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
  • cherokeercherokeer Posts: 45
    I still have it in the packaging so I can't get a good picture. However It actually says whole brisket with deckle.
    ·
    brisket101copy.jpg

No problem, 5 minutes with a knife with a thin blade and a sharp point (I use a 6" fillet knife) and you will have it all cleaned up. Looking through the seasoning, here is what you are shooting for after trimming the inside face. After you get the deckle off, the biggest and heaviest chunk of fat you will see is called the kernel and it's at the intersection of the point and the flat. I just trim it flush, and some folks will cut a "V" wedge of fat out of it. Be careful, if you remove too much, the point will try and shrink away from the flat during the cook.

DSC07778a.jpg

Here is a good shot showing the kernel.

DSC07781a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

·
  • cherokeercherokeer Posts: 45
    Thanks. That's why this site is so good. Experts like you helping novices like me. Much appreciated.
    ·
    You ever hear the definition of expert??
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    an EX is a has been, and a SPURT is a drip under pressure. Hehehehee.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

·
  • tnelstnels Posts: 75
    Thanks for the tutorial. I just experienced my local butcher calling the point the deckle last week when I asked for an untrimmed brisket with a large point.
    ·
  • Gator Bait Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

love0029.gif love0029.gif love0029.gif love0029.gif love0029.gif love0029.gif

Great reply thirdeye!

love0029.gif love0029.gif love0029.gif love0029.gif love0029.gif love0029.gif

Blair

·