Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My winning berries

Options
Mainegg
Mainegg Posts: 7,787
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just realized I had not posted how I did these. I guess it has been mentioned and I did not want to drag it out but had a few ask so...
I do not have hardly any pics to share but it was just large strawberries that I cut the top off, down about 1/2 an inch, trim off the green and set aside for garnish. I used a strawberry huller to scoop out the meat in the center of the berry and try to leave enough of the wall to be firm. I mixed cream cheese with a little powdered sugar, and a few drops of vanilla. stir till well mixed. I put one blueberry in the bottom of the strawberry, then a dot of cream cheese mix then a raspberry and then more cream cheese mix. put the top back on. you do not want any filling coming out it should seal up. then roll in conf sugar just to coat lightly. I used the large Pillsbury crescent rolls, the bang cans. take them apart and lay the end of the strawberry in the center with the point down. roll the pastry around it and pinch off the bottom and top to seal. pat the side seam to seal there too. I baked indirect at about 400. a piece of parchment paper is good so they do not stick. bake till golden brown. dust with powdered sugar and set the top back on the end of the new berry :)
we had to use firewires and I just threaded it from top to tip and they did make it easy to handle them. I won $100.00 and two tickets to the M&G and to the fest next year :)

berries.jpg
stfdbrs.jpg

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I was lucky enough to get to taste one of these jewels...not only was the presentation great but the taste was deeeelicious...I mean strawberries, cream cheese, powdered sugar, berries & pastry, what's not to love..... :lol: :silly: :pinch: :woohoo:

Great job Julie and thanks for sharing....
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I'm more of a visual person,, maybe you could show me at the mini fest :whistle:
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Oh and BTW...those Dutch Ovens were not 5 qt.....but nice win there also.... :lol: :silly: :lol: :pinch: :woohoo: ;):)
  • Mainegg
    Options
    LOL thanks Kim :blush:
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Now Pat everyone knows you don't eat fruit.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Mainegg
    Options
    I think that can be arranged Pat ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I got THE last bite! :) Delicious!! Eat your hearts out people!! :laugh:

(Pat, you wouldn't like them - there's no MEAT!!)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FlaPoolman
    Options
    Kim,, thats veggies :laugh: :laugh:
  • Mainegg
    Options
    LOL I need to measure it and see Kim! Did you measure? mine was a mess by the time we got home and unpacked. I scrubbed and re seasoned it, so it looks beautiful again. My sister and BIL where thrilled that Julia and Faith gave them theirs. Not that she will use it LOL But Brian sure will!
    That was very generous of Taratin's to give all the DO comp cooks the oven they used... and that is the other $100.00 I had to help pay for my XL. Poor DR. BBQ, I think he is still in shock that he liked an all vegi dish LOL
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Michael between you and Kim :ermm: I'm like a bear, I'll tear up a deer and eat berries off the bush but you won't find me in the cabbage patch :laugh: :laugh:
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Sorry me no comprende :P .........could you cook that delicacy for my wifey & me next time we meet? Or better still send it ups :woohoo: :ohmy:
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Too kewel Julie
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I saw the pics a few days ago, and was a little mystified about how the big pastries were berries.

Thanks so much for the explanation. Your creation is wonderful. Let me line up for a taste.

But, strawberry huller? I've got a (crummy) melon baller.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    Had a melon baller and to big to get down in side of it. most of the tips were hollow so I only had to scoop out the top and "shoulder" of the berries. Plus the teeth of the berry huller scoop easier.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Thanks for posting the recipe. It really reads yummy. Have you thought of entering that recipe in the Pillsbury Cooking Contest?...You should! Congrats on the new egg.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Julie,

That sounds soo damn good :blush:

Strawberries and Blueberries are in full swing in the northwoods we are headed to this weekend. B)