Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Mold

edited 4:18PM in EggHead Forum
After cooking on the egg, mold will sometimes gather on the grill or other places inside the egg after a few days. A friend of mine has also experienced this same problem. Can anybody help with a solution to prevent this from happening? thanks, the egg man.

Comments

  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,521
    Iamthe,
    I don't have that problem, you must be in a very humid area. Maybe opening the top on clear days to dry it out occassionally. Or use it more often! A good high temp burn will clean it up real good. Cook some pizza![p]That's all I can think of. I assume you have the clay top on tight, and the bottom vent closed, and moisture is still getting in.[p]Good luck. Maybe some others with similar problems have found a solution that works for them.
    NB

    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Iamthe, yeeeeeaaaah...Daily cooks..Thats a common problem in high humidity climates and it really isn't one..Just pre heat your egg before cooking and its all ash and no problem. Give your grill a quick whisk with a copper brush and grill away..or ??
    C~W[p]

  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Nature Boy, thats almost double talk..:-)

  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,521
    Char-Woody,
    Dang. Ya almost took my head off!! Near collision.
    Same wavelength too with the answers![p]

    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • If you shut your bottom damper when finished cooking and cleaning (brushing the food grate)and just leave your top open a crack for ten minutes (approx.) This will allow moisture from food to evaporate up chiminey reducing Mold potential.
  • Mike OelrichMike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Iamthe,[p] I had the same problem with my small egg this spring. I cooked during the first day of a week-long rainy period. I didn't clean the BGE after cooking. Right now my small sits low to the ground (still trying to decide on a table design for the little guy) with a cover on it. After the week of rain ended, I opened up the BGE and there was blue mold all over it. Now, I do a short high temperature burn after cooking to get rid of most of the potential mold food in the BGE and make a point to take the cover off for a while after rain storms to let it dry out a bit. Haven't had a mold problem since.[p]MikeO
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.