Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mold

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After cooking on the egg, mold will sometimes gather on the grill or other places inside the egg after a few days. A friend of mine has also experienced this same problem. Can anybody help with a solution to prevent this from happening? thanks, the egg man.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Iamthe,
    I don't have that problem, you must be in a very humid area. Maybe opening the top on clear days to dry it out occassionally. Or use it more often! A good high temp burn will clean it up real good. Cook some pizza![p]That's all I can think of. I assume you have the clay top on tight, and the bottom vent closed, and moisture is still getting in.[p]Good luck. Maybe some others with similar problems have found a solution that works for them.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Iamthe, yeeeeeaaaah...Daily cooks..Thats a common problem in high humidity climates and it really isn't one..Just pre heat your egg before cooking and its all ash and no problem. Give your grill a quick whisk with a copper brush and grill away..or ??
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Nature Boy, thats almost double talk..:-)

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Dang. Ya almost took my head off!! Near collision.
    Same wavelength too with the answers![p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    If you shut your bottom damper when finished cooking and cleaning (brushing the food grate)and just leave your top open a crack for ten minutes (approx.) This will allow moisture from food to evaporate up chiminey reducing Mold potential.
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Iamthe,[p] I had the same problem with my small egg this spring. I cooked during the first day of a week-long rainy period. I didn't clean the BGE after cooking. Right now my small sits low to the ground (still trying to decide on a table design for the little guy) with a cover on it. After the week of rain ended, I opened up the BGE and there was blue mold all over it. Now, I do a short high temperature burn after cooking to get rid of most of the potential mold food in the BGE and make a point to take the cover off for a while after rain storms to let it dry out a bit. Haven't had a mold problem since.[p]MikeO