Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Custom BBQ Tools...Texas Guys Check These Out!

fasteddiem
fasteddiem Posts: 212
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well Guys...as a new Egghead that is addicted to this cooker, food and forum, I felt the need to seek out some custom BBQ tools...Did I really need them, No, but I like to have some cool accessories to go with the Egg! I spent a few days searching the internet for some custom manufacturers and after a few strike outs I came across Bob and Rosie Lewis with Dusty Mustang Leather. I was searching www.etsy.com and found a Steer Head Meat Turner and had to have it! After sending some messages to the shop owners I found out they make an entire line of BBQ tools that are hand forged and the handles are covered in hand braided leather including a fork, turner, and spatula. I inquired if they would make a bottle opener to go with the set and they agreed to do so and "whipped" one up the next day! After seeing the quick work I had a thought...perhaps they could make a "wiggle rod". I sent a few email links with the specs on a few wigglers and Bob went to work in the forge to make a sweet tool! IMG_1617.jpgIMG_1618.jpg
IMG_1619.jpg
Once the tools were complete I needed a place to put the tools. After reviewing their online store and shop in ETSY, I saw that they did leather work as well. I asked if they had ever made a BBQ tool "roll." They hadn't but thought it made sense to do so! Rosie went to work designing a roll made in canvas as a mock up for the suede to follow. After a few modifications per my request we came up with a roll that would hold all five tools, a stem thermometer, butane lighter, and Leatherman tool. I was able to get exactly what I wanted made to order! So amazing! IMG_1616.jpgIMG_1620.jpg
If this wasn't enough Rosie thought I might like a Leather BBQ apron so she went to work and made one up! IMG_1624.jpg
Both were treated to reduce staining and sent off.

I write this because it is rare today to find a vendor that works 100% for your complete satisfaction. Bob and Rosie are wonderful people who take great pride in what they do! If this wasn't enough these items were made in the US by two California retirees! I don't know if there is a market for these in the "Eggdom" but I thought I would share my experience and perhaps send some work to some great people who "bent over backwards" to make me a happy "egger!" These are amazing tools that feel great in your hand! Here is their contact information if you are interested. If you need any more details or want to talk about my experience please feel free to contact me via email or Ping!

Bob and Rosie Lewis

www.dustymustangleather.com

Dusty mustang leather shop @ www.etsy.com

Email - [email protected]

I hope this finds everyone well!

Eddie :)

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 10,996
    WOW! Those are fantastic. Coolest look tools I have seen for the grill. Great find. How many more days before Christmas?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    These are very COOL!!! Thanks for the great steer. I will be talking with them soon.
  • TnVolKen
    TnVolKen Posts: 198
    Wow, do they sell these as a set now?
  • fasteddiem
    fasteddiem Posts: 212
    TnVolKen,

They do sell whole sets of both the steer head as well as one's fashioned from horseshoes! Very cool work and I can attest to the amazing craftsmanship. I'm trying to persuade them to make one's with a "pigs" head as the pig is a revered animal in Eggdom!
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890

Well Guys...as a new Egghead that is addicted to this cooker, food and forum, I felt the need to seek out some custom BBQ tools...Did I really need them, No, but I like to have some cool accessories to go with the Egg! I spent a few days searching the internet for some custom manufacturers and after a few strike outs I came across Bob and Rosie Lewis with Dusty Mustang Leather. I was searching www.etsy.com and found a Steer Head Meat Turner and had to have it! After sending some messages to the shop owners I found out they make an entire line of BBQ tools that are hand forged and the handles are covered in hand braided leather including a fork, turner, and spatula. I inquired if they would make a bottle opener to go with the set and they agreed to do so and "whipped" one up the next day! After seeing the quick work I had a thought...perhaps they could make a "wiggle rod". I sent a few email links with the specs on a few wigglers and Bob went to work in the forge to make a sweet tool! IMG_1617.jpgIMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

Once the tools were complete I needed a place to put the tools. After reviewing their online store and shop in ETSY, I saw that they did leather work as well. I asked if they had ever made a BBQ tool "roll." They hadn't but thought it made sense to do so! Rosie went to work designing a roll made in canvas as a mock up for the suede to follow. After a few modifications per my request we came up with a roll that would hold all five tools, a stem thermometer, butane lighter, and Leatherman tool. I was able to get exactly what I wanted made to order! So amazing! IMG_1616.jpgIMG_1620.jpg

If this wasn't enough Rosie thought I might like a Leather BBQ apron so she went to work and made one up! IMG_1624.jpg

Both were treated to reduce staining and sent off.

I write this because it is rare today to find a vendor that works 100% for your complete satisfaction. Bob and Rosie are wonderful people who take great pride in what they do! If this wasn't enough these items were made in the US by two California retirees! I don't know if there is a market for these in the "Eggdom" but I thought I would share my experience and perhaps send some work to some great people who "bent over backwards" to make me a happy "egger!" These are amazing tools that feel great in your hand! Here is their contact information if you are interested. If you need any more details or want to talk about my experience please feel free to contact me via email or Ping!

Bob and Rosie Lewis

www.dustymustangleather.com

Dusty mustang leather shop @ www.etsy.com

Email - [email protected]

I hope this finds everyone well!

Eddie :)

Bob's no longer making sets..arthritis and tendinitis. ..

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Really nice work!

Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Eddie thanks so much for posting this.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Very cool!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Those Are awesome!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Nice - looks like a Dexter kill kit. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Those are not only great tools, but handcrafted with nice quality and fantastic features. My heart swelled with pride when I read the line "Made by two California retirees"!!!!! I could not be more proud right now, Born and raised!
    :)>- :D \:D/
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,407
    edited December 2014
    this post is from June 2011,  webpage http://www.dustymustangleather.com/ no longer available.
    canuckland
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Very cool!
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • rsterman
    rsterman Posts: 119
    What is the cost of the 5 tool packet including the tools and the leather carrying case?.....they are absolutely beautiful...
    Berlin, Maryland
  • Since these are no longer available has anyone found anyone that makes something similar?  I would certainly like to have a set!!
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Jellyworm said:
    Since these are no longer available has anyone found anyone that makes something similar?  I would certainly like to have a set!!

Working on it..got a guy..pricing a set with 

Holding Rack -wall mounted

Spatula

Fork

Spoon

Ladle

Tongs

Ash tool

Here's the best part  PIGS HEADS!!

I'll post info, price and pics as I get em..I want to see craftsmanship BEFORE I share and everyones unhappy..I'll be the guinea pig.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida