Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

"Pittsburg Style" Steaks

edited 9:01AM in EggHead Forum
In the beginning of the Big Green Egg Cook Book, they mention a "Pittsburg Style" for cooking steaks on the Egg. Unfortunately, I can't find anywhere in the book where they tell you how to cook steak this way. Anybody out there who can tell me? Thanking you in advance for your help, I am,[p]Sincerely yours,[p]Dr. Snore
·

Comments

• SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Dr. Snore,[p]The "Pittsburg" style of cooking represents the far end of rare steak cooking. The ultimate "Pittsburg" being a bleeding charred steak.[p]This cook requires very high temps (1000+F) and very short cooking times. On your Egg, the steak MUST be very close to the coals to achieve the goal.[p]Spin

·
  • Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    Spin,[p]I think you can also achive the Pittsburg char by omitting the dwell time and just searing it to perfection - even at 700 deg. I often do mine at 5-5-2 on the large Egg at 700 deg. I might try a 6-6-0 to see what that would do. My filets are usually 2" thick too so they are still pretty pink inside - not rare though. [p]Tim
    ·