Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How long will it burn?

TheLazyCTheLazyC Posts: 87
edited 5:45PM in EggHead Forum
How long will an XL BGE burn when filled to the top of the upper firebox using BGE Natural Lump at 225-250 degrees?
·

Comments

• cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,400
    I know that a large, filled to the top of the fire ring, will burn at 225 for 23 hours. I wish I could tell you how much lump was leftover.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    ·
  • TurkTurk Posts: 114
    I don't have any experience with the XL but I did a low and slow with a large this weekend. Filled to the top of the ring. Lit the lump at 10:30 pm on Saturday and went all night at 230. Pulled the butt at 5pm Sunday and I still had enough lump left for a quick cook. Total time from putting the meat on until it was pulled was 18.5 hours.
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    Molly, I've got 35 hrs on the large
    ·
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,400
    Oh, that's cool. I had, as you probably know, 68 lbs. of pork butt. Never paid attention to what was left.
    Have a great time this weekend!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    ·
  • asianflavaasianflava Posts: 313
    I did 2 briskets back to back on my XL. I filled it with lump and it burned for 24 hrs at 230degrees. I used a DigiQ.
    ·
  • I have gone over 30 hours with back to back smokes at 240 with some lump left over.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    longer than anything needs cooking...

a large would go 40+ hours easily. can't imagine an XL
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    I have had a large cook for 28 hours straight...butt, then ribs, then pizza...lump was still left but I was tired... :P
    ·