Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Horrible Commute and Good Ribs! (several pics)

KC Transplant
KC Transplant Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As most of you are aware, we had a semi decent snow storm hit the east cost this past week. Well, it appeared as though DC and its suburbs were wholly unprepared. My commute from Union Station to my house in Sterling, VA normally is 1.45 hours door to door. However, on Wednesday, it took me 6 hours to get home and I walked into my garage at 10pm.

The first photo is of the line behind me waiting to get on their respective bus.

photo-3.jpg

This photo is of the line across the bus lot. Luckily I did not take the 980 bus that day because I knew if there was going to be a mass of people leaving work at the same time, the 980 line would be 300 deep. And it was.

photo-1.jpg

My wife was working from home and sent me this photo. She was excited that she did not have to endure rush hour with the morons who don't know how to drive in the snow.

photo-2.jpg

When I get home, she says there is bad news on the deck. I freak out because my Egg is out there. At 10pm it is obviously dark outside and I'm tired so she pulls up her phone to show me the damage.

photo-4.jpg

Whew.....not my beloved Egg!!

photo-5.jpg

However, I was kind of happy because that meant I got to take a field trip to Lowe's to purchase a chain saw. I had a little Tim "the Toolman" Taylor grunt going. The wife just looked at me.

So, to treat ourselves, I decided to make some loin back ribs today to make sure the Egg still worked okay.

Each rack has a different rub. Jackstack Steak Rub, DP Dizzy Dust and DP Red Eye. The prepped ribs:

photo-6.jpg

They were smoked 4.5 hours with a mix of hickory and mesquite chunks then an additional 30 minutes to set the sauce. Since the wife is a huge fan of the Blues Hog sauce, I sauced half of each rack with the Blues Hog and the other half with one of my favorite KC sauces, Zarda KC Classic Private Reserve.

photo-7.jpg

I cut them up and seperated them according to rub and sauce. This is my plate:

photo-8.jpg

We didn't even make it to the kitchen table. We stood at the corners of the island with a trash can between us for the bones. When we'd had enough ribs, we ate the salad we prepared as our side. Though, from the left overs, it appears neither of us really saved much room for the salad.

Comments

• BBQThom
    BBQThom Posts: 33
    NICE lookin Ribs Brother
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Now THAT was an excellent post!! Entertaining story and good lookin' food to boot. As you have learned, DC has NO IDEA what to do with snow! :laugh: Two feet here and I'm out running errands. Two INCHES there and the world comes to an end.

GREAT lookin' ribs!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Nice post!

See what happens when you move away from 'Tornado Alley!" :woohoo:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Thanks BBQThom, the wife said they were my best ribs yet.

Carolina Q, thanks. It was just one of those weeks.

Loco, I don't miss the tornados at all. Thankfully, all of the tornados seemed to hit and destroy things south of an imaginary line drawn between Greensburg and KC.
  • Those are nice looking ribs, and that is coming from a moron that doesn't know how to drive in the snow!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Unbelievable smoke ring on those ribs! They look awesome. :)

Glad to see the snow storm allowed you make lemonade out of lemons. Thanks for sharing your ordeal.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hahaha. Faith, that doesn't make you a moron - hard to practice that skill in TAMPA!!! :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Florida Grillin Girl wrote:
    Those are nice looking ribs, and that is coming from a moron that doesn't know how to drive in the snow!

Ha!

No offense intended for the folks who live in states where snow rarely falls!
  • eenie meenie wrote:
    Unbelievable smoke ring on those ribs! They look awesome. :)

Glad to see the snow storm allowed you make lemonade out of lemons. Thanks for sharing your ordeal.

Thanks!

I seem to get a decent smoke ring when I do loin back ribs though I really can't think of anything different than I normally when I smoke ribs. I'll have to pay attention next time.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    KC Transplant, that 3rd photo is Christmas card quality. Consider it!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Great looking ribs!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Lovenbrau
    Lovenbrau Posts: 307
    Great looking ribs! Don't miss the DC weather or traffic, grew up there! Golf in short sleeves today in NC.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Wonderful pics! I do not envy you with the snow - I got caught in the Woodbridge area last year in "the storm of the century". I would never make it in all that snow! Glad the beloved egg was spared - looks like you make the best of an awful situation! ;)
  • I loved your ribs because you can NEVER see enough pictures of perfectly cooked ribs. And I loved your story with pictures because it's so unimaginable to a Southern Californian!

Although I did grow up in Chicago and spent four college years in Wisconsin, I have never experienced anything like you did. Only seen that kind of snow in ski areas.

Now there's an idea...a ski resort that supplies BGEs and supplies with every room/condo/cabin you rent! THAT would be heaven on earth!

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • I'm currently studying for Level II of the CFA exam, so I don't have a ton of time to get very creative on the Egg. So, it is just the stand by pulled pork, ribs, burgers, chicken and steak.

However, this summer after the exam, I fully plan on getting into the stuffed pork loin, pizza and other assorted goodies I've seen posted on here. I'll also get around to smoking my first brisket.
  • Glad your egg was spared.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    We have some weather coming.
    Think I will just grab some ribs and stay home :)
    Yours look great

Shane
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    woooow....
    not even that weather can stop you!!!
    NICEEEEE!!!!
    great job