Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Ran out of lump on overnight cook?

Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
edited 1:19PM in EggHead Forum
Yesterday i cleaned out my ash area and loaded my fire pit to the top of the fire box. Started my over night pulled pork cook at 2:00PM figuring about a twenty hour cook. Woke up to find i ran out of lump during the night?? My dome temp. was 98 and my internal butt temp was 156. I have never had this problem in the past and i'm guessing the cold near freezing outdoor temp. required more fuel to maintain my cooking temp of 230 degrees?? I reloaded and continued the cook-- i'm assuming the meat will be fine, what do you think ??? Thanks, Charlie

• I think once you try it, you will know. ;)
  • DreggsDreggs Posts: 147
    Meat will be fine, as it is above 130
  • Thanks for confirming that Bibb.
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,411
    What brand of charcoal were you using. Some brands burn faster than others. I generally use Royal Oak (US made) for most of my cooks, but mix it with Wicked Good brand when I'm doing a long cook.

Your meat temperature was safe when you restarted. You might want to consider getting a remote thermometer like a Maverick ET-73 or ET-732 so you can monitor the temperature or set an alarm to warn you if this happens again.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
  • 20hrs? That's a looong time. Mine are usually take between 8-10hrs (depending the size) at 230 but I put it on 12hrs in advance.

I've done a 24hr cook when I did 2 briskets back to back in my XL. I filled it to the top and ran out towards the end.

I usually use BGE or RO lump.
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Run the heat up to 250-260 or so. Uses less lump, butt gets done way faster and taste the same, if not better.