Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm legit now! Bought a mini!

Options
Booking It
Booking It Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After nearly three years of drooling over Eggs, saving for a large and then seeing that savings get wiped away by an emergency, I am FINALLY the owner of a Mini Big Green Egg!

The hubby saw an ad on Craigslist for a mini. We went to go look at it, and got the mini, stand, 20 lb of lump charcoal, and fire starters/tools/etc.. for $175! Everything was brand new and still in the box (I did take it out to examine it for cracks). The guy won it at a work function and really didn't have a need for it. The lump charcoal alone is $30 at our local dealer, so I think I made out pretty well!

I'm planning on playing around with the mini all winter and finally getting the large during spring break to round out my "egg family". :)

Even though it's just the mini, I'm happy to now be part of the club :woohoo:

-Kara

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Awesome, Kara! You will be amazed at how much you can do with a mini! Especially if there are only two of you. Good price too. $30 for lump is ridiculous! Check out Royal Oak at Walmart, about $7 for a 10 lb bag.

Also, if you have a fireplace, for winter cooking you might consider this. It's the main reason I bought the mini!! Works great!! :laugh:

4285793773_bfa8641c63_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Congrats Kara, and welcome!!Enjoy your Egg!!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • smokeman
    Options
    That picture of the mini in the fireplace is awesome!!!!!!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It's still on my patio at the moment, but then, it's 50-60° still. When it starts to get cold, I'll bring it inside. Sure beats going outside to cook in the dead of a New England winter!! Works quite well for most of my cooks. If I have a hankerin' for a big ol' butt or a spatch'd chicken in January, I'll go outside and crank up the large. But for lots of cooks, the mini's just fine - and the living room is warm and dry!! :laugh:

Oh, and welcome to the madness!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hi Kara!! I love our mini's and we use them more than any of the eggs if it is just the two of us. welcome tot he egg family and it will grow for you I am sure :) Julei
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Kara, Welcome to the cult! YOu might check with the mothership and see if you qualify for the lifetime warrantee if it has never been claimed. Sounds like it has not.
    Also, don't forget pictures! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Kara - you may have seen some of these threads if you have been hanging out for a while. But just in case these pics demonstrate the flexibility of the mini

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=941464&catid=1

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=524739&catid=1

"mini cooks" in the search box will give more results

BTW - That 20# bag of lump is going to go a long way :)
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Congradulation on the mini. And welcome to the forum. :)
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Congratulations!

In the winter months, I tend to cook on the Mini more because I leave it on the deck near my back door.

while you don't cook as much (at any one time) as you would on a LBGE, you can still cook a lot of different things. I find that I can pretty much always cook our Entrees on it.

Something I'm going to experiment with is low temp cooks and maybe trying some small (4lb or less) pork Butt.

Do either get yourself a Mini Kim Woo or make yourself a raised grid like I did.

have fun!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Congrats on the score and welcome!

Like Michael said- don't pay $30 for a 20 lb bag of lump. They are usually $20, and that is overpriced.

Not sure were you are located, but my local Kroger has Kroger brand lump in an 8.8 lb bag for $5.50 and it works just fine.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Kara, Welcome to the forum. Tim
  • Capn Spaulding
    Options
    Cheers! Enjoy it!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mini's are fun:
    photo-117.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Booking It
    Options
    Thank you all for the support, links, and pictures! This is why I love this forum.

Mickey, is that the Mini Woo ring? I thought I knew everything about everything, and now that I have an egg, I feel so ill prepared. :blink:

-Kara
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Yes it it Grasshopper.
    I use it all the time.
    Also from Amazon you can get a pair of pizza stones and have real good pizzas or use as indirect....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.