Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cast iron pot

Options
madmike
madmike Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need a new pot for chillies and spaghetti sauces just wondering how a pot like this would hold up to the BGE?Canadian tire has these for 1/2 price right now.
41-14-ZqIuL._SL500_.jpg

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Mike,

Saw them on the weekend. They looked good to me but you wouldn't know how the enamel is going to stand up without trying. That is about a quarter the price of Le Creuset though. The William Ashley sale is on in TO right now and they usually have Le Creuset on at a reduced price.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Should do fine. The finish on the bottom may suffer over time if used direct, but no big deal.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    should be fine i use a cheap enameled dutch i got from marshals for around 30 bucks, works every bit as good as my lecrueset dutch in the egg. the lecrueset shines on a simmer plate stove top, you wont notice the difference in an egg.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Shwiezzee
    Options
    Hey Mike,

A month or so ago I bought the 5 and 7qt from Canadian Tire. I've used each 3 or for 4 times direct and indirect. So far vary happy. Easy to clean and the price is good!

Jay
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • madmike
    madmike Posts: 103
    Options
    thanks guys :woohoo: Gonna get one and try a chilli in it this weekend
  • Dookie Jenkins
    Options
    Here is a great web site for cast iron cooking supplies -including dutch ovens:

Agrisupply.com
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Someone on this site gave the heads up about 2 months back on one of those at Canadian Tire at that price. I had my Mom pick one up. That's a great price. For me it's much too pretty to put in my egg. I have a cast iron (old as hell) one that I use in the egg. I'm sure it will work. Just be careful on temp if it has a plastic handle. Haven't seen mine yet in person so I don't know what it has.

Enjoy.
  • the butcher
    Options
    I picked one up today after seeing this post. The 5qt (reg $150) and the 3.5qt (reg $100) are both on sale for 50$. there is silicone in the handle but they say its fine up to 500degrees. Seemed like a good deal to me.