Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking my first turkey some help please

Options
HarleyDoug
HarleyDoug Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking about smoking a turkey on my large BGE and need some ideas on size (my egg will comfortably hold) time, temp etc. I'm going to brine the turkey and will use a plate setter.

Thanks much,
Doug
Chelsea AL

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I recently did my first on a large. It was 17 pounds and took about 6.5 hours to cook. 17 pounds was just the right size. I used the mad max recipe. I did not brine. I used the plate setter, water pan, roasting pan and a rack.

Good luck!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Not sure about kl8ton's temps cause something seems askew.

I would cook it at 375 dome temp sitting on the grid with a platesetter and drip pan below. You can fit up to a 20lb bird in your large and it will cook in around 3 to 3.5 hours at that temp. Turkey is low fat so there is no advantage going low and slow unless you like dry bird. Ice the breasts for 1 hour prior to cooking and your target temps are 160 for breast and 180 for thighs. Without icing your breast it will reach 180 along with the thigh and be getting dry. Very little wood chips if any at all and fruitwood if you must. Turkey can take on a too heavy smoked taste very easy.
    Salt, pepper, and rub the skin with butter before it goes in. I cook 13lb birds in my medium in around 2 hours at 375 dome temp.
  • HarleyDoug
    Options
    Thanks much, what temp did you use? Did you use a platesetter?
  • HarleyDoug
    Options
    Thanks much Tim, do you use the vertical stand?
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Remember a BGE equipped with a platesetter is just a wood fired oven you roast in. Any cookbook will tell you how to roast a turkey.
  • Bulldog Mom
    Options
    You really need to check out the Mad Max Turkey recipe. You can't go wrong. We made it first time last Thanksgiving and it was marvelous. Had it again for Christmas. Can't wait for Thanksgiving again.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm
  • HarleyDoug
    Options
    just read/printed out looks/sounds great

Thanks much,
    Doug
    Chelsea, AL
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Never use one on turkey or chicken. A big turkey might be learing out the top if its in a vertical stand and freak everyone out. I cook mine right on the BGE grate. If your cramped for room, remove your fire ring to gain another 3" or so.