Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weak Lid Springs?

Options
fergyr
fergyr Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ever since I purchased my egg I have had to put a shim on the bottom to force the egg to lean back a bit, otherwise the lid won't stay open on its own.

Has anyone else this happen?

Could my springs be weak?

Thanks!

Randy

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Sounds to me like a couple of your hinge bolts are loose.

Check the two bolts that have two nuts on them with the spring between the nuts. They should be more then finger-tight, but not torqued down too tightly or the lid will be tough to open.

Here is an upside down picture I took one day when I was hooped up on painkillers from dental surgery.

EggBolts.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    ive had springs replaced but after years of use, probably not your problem. check the bolts fidel mentioned, check the egg with a level across the gasket lip, every once ands a while someone puts the band on upsidedown and that happens, the big flat bracket goes on top
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fergyr
    fergyr Posts: 10
    Options
    you guys are incredible..thanks so much!
    I'll bet that your suggestion is spot on, I'll give it a try.
    Cheers
    Randy
  • Tank_NZ
    Options
    @ Fidel.

Just looking at your photo (standing on my head) - is that all the ceramic flaking off your egg in the pic?

(a bad thing that I thought eggs were not supposed to do)

or is it splatter from 'energetic' cooking?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Tank,

It's cous cous. He makes a lot of it

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I dunno what you're seeing, but me egg isn't doing any flaking. That one is 8 years old, maybe 5 or 6 in that picture, and has no problems with the finish.