Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hot sauce

Options
Lovenbrau
Lovenbrau Posts: 307
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Lookin to make my own hot sauce. Would like to do a Pepper based sauce with a bit of heat. Have seen a few posts, does anyone have a good one? Thought I would smoke peppers {red, yellow, green with habanero, jalepeno, ect.} , garlic, onions, tomatoes, then skin and blend, maybe add some vinegar. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I just take the hot peppers, remove stem, slice, keeping the seeds, soak in vinegar for a few weeks and then use my stick blender to make a sauce. Some batches I add garlic, little sugar, thai fish sauce or a combination. I usually use thai birds beaks chilies, but any hot pepper will work.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=733168&catid=1

above link was my first attempt there are many recipes on the internet, i now wash, rough chop pour hot salted and sugared vinegar over the top and use the stick blender. put in bottle and pressure cook.. last year i did not do that but i made a lot this and am worried about shelf life,, heating tones down the heat a little but i am using exclusively arkasas death peppers [carribean red variety of a habenero] grown from seeds smuggled into this contry from mexico by an illegal immegrant. it is plenty hot.
  • Lake Conroe Egger
    Options
    We lived in Trinidad a few years and really liked their unique style of sauce. Made up a batch this week and turned out very good but not as hot as I remembered.

Trinidadian Pepper Sauce

Ingredients:
    7 Habanero Or Scotch Bonnet Chiles
    15 Garlic Cloves, coarsely chopped
    15 Scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 large Carrot, coarsely chopped
    1 cup Water
    ¾ cup Distilled White Vinegar
    ½ cup Yellow Mustard
    ⅔ cup Chopped Cilantro Leaves
    2 Tbsp Thyme Leaves
    2 Tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
    Salt

Directions:

In a small saucepan of boiling water, blanch the chiles for 1 minute. Drain and let cool. Discard the stems.

In a blender or food processor, pulse the chiles with the garlic, scallions, carrot and water until finely chopped. Add the vinegar, mustard, cilantro, thyme and lime juice and pulse just until combined. Season with salt. Transfer the sauce to jars and refrigerate.

The sauce can be refrigerated for 1 year.