Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Purchase

Fick
Fick Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've decided to buy a large bge and just started looking. There is only one dealer in my area and the price seems high. Are the prices the same at all dealers or will shopping around be worth my time? I've also checked craigslist ect. but found no used ones for sale. I have not been able to find any listing of list prices or suggested retails either. Thanks

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Buy new if you wan't the lifetime warranty. Any Eggfests around your area? You can buy the demo eggs for a discount and still get the lifetime warranty. As for the price it varies store by store.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I believe there is some variance between dealers. People have posted the "normal" price to expect on here. Have you tried using the search function?

Good luck. You will enjoy. As for CL. I've looked for fun, but haven't seen one in ages around here.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Prices vary based on whats included in the purchase price...if you buy used or online the lifetime warranty isn't included..you're best deal is a fest...or bite the bullet and pay retail..you wont regret it either way...it's like a car..no 2 dealers are gonna offer the same price
  • Fick
    Fick Posts: 9
    Thanks for the replies; guess I'll check for dealers in surrounding areas as well.
  • What no one is saying is Yes they are expensive.

it took me maybe 2 years after first seeing the Egg, getting interested and then finding out what they cost and losing interest before I bought mine.

The thing that hooked me was when my neighbor got one and would show us the stuff he was cooking. He kind of couldn't believe it, and needless to say we were impressed.

I found 3 dealers in my area and I bought the lowest price which also happened to be the most convenient. The price was about $75 less than the highest price and the other was in the middle. 4+ yers ago that price was $625. I had to buy an ash tool and lump on top of that. so0me dealers will include that stuff in their price. (Bag of BGE Lump costs over $20)

If you are going to shop around, it would be good to ask each prospective dealer about the warrantee and how you would go about getting replacement parts. They are supposed to replace anything that's covered for free, but many of them are EXYREMELY WEAK when it comes to service and/or knowledge of their responsibilities relative to service. If you find one who seems to know what he's doing, that's worth something.

Maybe the most important thing to look for is a dealer who cooks on an Egg at home. If they give you an excuse like "My condo association won't allow it", they probably don't know how to use an Egg. Eggheads will ALWAYS find a way to Egg, regardless of the obstacles. If they say they have one at home, ask them what they like to cook on it. If they say " the usual, burgers, dogs, etc" they are probably lying about having one at home. On the other hand if they start talking and won't shut up, they are real Eggheads and will take care of you. This to me is worth paying more.

best of luck and have fun with it!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Wouldn't hurt to call around. Obvious question...but have you used the dealer locator on the BGE site? As Wes suggested you might want to decide exactly what you want in addition to the egg (nest, mates, ash tool, grid gripper, plate setter, etc). You could call around and see what the price would be on a package.

For what it's worth, my father in law just got a really good deal at an Ace Hardware that is a dealer (Norcross, GA).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hoosier
    Hoosier Posts: 107
    My two cents: find a dealer who you like and think you can trust. Buying an Egg is a LONG term investment and you should choose a dealer you want to build a relationship with (if such a dealer exists in your area) Just read the threads from the past few days about warranty service. When you're going to shell out $800 or more for an Egg and accessories, don't worry about saving $50.

Find the best dealer you can and work through them.
  • Where are you located?

Perhaps one of us offer our experience.