Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How often to clean fire box?

Options
NavyEggHead
NavyEggHead Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wondering if there is a recommended time frame for totally emptying out the charcoal and starting over. I have had my BGE since August and have just added lump when I needed to, haven't emptied it out.

Comments

• stevesails
    Options
    i take mine apart about 3 or 4 ; 20 lb bags of lump. I like to use the shop vac and suck it all out. i usually do it after a high temp burn to get rid of all the crud, and let the lump burn all down. or I take out any lump that is left and then do the vacuum, put in some new lump and then put the old on top.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Egg Master 3000
    Options
    I have a tendency to do it whenever there is not much charcoal in the egg. I just put the good pieces back in the charcoal bag and I don't have a vacuum so I get to grab all the dust out!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    not too often. I just do it before overnight cooks.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Navy,

Having your air blocked off by ash will make it harder to achieve high temperatures (will take longer to heat up, and may not get really hot at all), and can make it harder to control temp and keep your fire lit on low and slow cooks. If you experience either of these symptoms, it's definitely time to clean. Otherwise...

1) As Flashback Bob said, always fully clean before overnight cooks. This takes away one factor that can cause your temp to drop or fire to go out.

2) Every once in a while, take a look through your draft door. If there is a big pile of ash in there, clean it out.

3) Depending on the type of lump you use you'll get different amounts of ash, so it's hard to give a schedule for when you should clean. If you notice that every 5 cooks, or every two weeks, is a good time to do it, then try and stick to that. I generally just open mine up every other Sunday, since I'm nearly always cooking on Sundays, take out the ash, and dump it in my garden.

-John
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I normally take it apart and clean it completely 2-3 times a year tops. Other than that I just stir and add more lump. I tend to take the old charcoal and move it to another Egg and take the metal grate out more so than scrap out ash from the bottom vent.
  • NotabuttDave
    Options
    I do it when I notice the temps aren't as high as expected, or it takes too long to heat up.

I do stir the charcoal around in the fire box prior to building a new fire. It keeps the small pieces from accumulating.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    kinda depends on how often you use it, but I find after 6 months the ash build up behind the holes in the firebox really start to restrict air flow to those important holes. I will also notice the burn pattern becomes obvious as it is more concentrated to the front. OTOH if you are merely referring to the ash removal out through the front vent only I actually clean mine before every use! Yup - every use!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I used to not clean out very often but now that I have 2, I cannot justify cleaning out the small and letting the large get jealous and dirty!

I usually do it before a big over night cook, especially if I have been cooking a lot that week or month. I just use an old Breakstone sour cream container to scoop everything out or my hands.

Whatever you do just make sure everything is properly aligned before you set everything back up for a cook.

I have also found if there is a little bit of ash that I cannot get, I just brush it to the front and it causes no problems and I get it next time I clean.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ron,

If you and I were roommates, I would be Oscar.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    I only clean mine before a low and slow cook, unless its been a really long time since its been cleaned. When you open the vent on the bottom, and the ash starts to fall out, then I guess its time :woohoo: I too utilize the shop vac, quick and easy.
  • NavyEggHead
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I was talking about the firebox, not the ashes. I clean the ashes probably more than needed, but at least its clean. From what everyone has said I guess 2 to 3 times a year or when getting ready for a "low and slow" is a good periodicity.
    Thanks again!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Generally when talking about cleaning the firebox it is the area under the fire grate.

Cleaning the outside of the fire box. For the most part that is the area between the fire box and egg wall is different item.

It sure doesn't hurt to clean the ashes in the firebox before each cook especially if one is having problems holding temperature or getting to temperature. Doing so just eliminates one variable in heat control.

With that said I cook on average 5 to 7 meals a week on my large. I clean the firebox once every 8 to 10 cooks. I always clean before every 6 hour or longer or overnight cook.

I haven't cleaned out behind the firebox in 3 to 4 years. I will probable do it before winter sets in just to see how much ash has built up.

GG
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    for kicks and giggles one time I carefully removed my firebox and took this picture of the ash formations which obviously hampered the air flow surrounding the firebox and available through the holes.
    IMG_1675.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Davexx1
    Options
    We have a medium size Egg and after a couple of cooks I have noticed that getting up to cooking temps takes much longer and the temp continues to rise for a longer period of time.

Digging down into the firebox revealed that many of the smaller burned pieces of charcoal have fallen into and all around the fire box vent holes which appears to be significantly restricting air flow. After a good clean out of all ash and small burned pieces of charcoal, the cooker fires right up, quickly jumps up to any desired temp, and the temp is much more easily regulated.

It seems the smaller sized Egg is much more sensitive to restricted air flow than the larger Eggs.

Dave
  • NotabuttDave
    Options
    With my official BGE ash removal tool, I can reach between the firebox and the side and get a lot of ash that entered through the side holes. I bet I could rig up a flexible tool to remove 100%.