Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole hog help

Options
Eggular
Eggular Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Planning on building cinder block pit to do a 90 lb hog in a couple of weeks. Anybody have advice? I've seen a couple of methods. One flipped pig once and too 6 hrs. One cooked skim down for 8-9 hrs. Any helpful links?

Comments

• Zinger
    Zinger Posts: 86
    Options
    don't have any experience with cinder block pits myself.
    I have seen some threads regarding them on another BBQ forum.

BBQ-Brethren.com

It is not cooker specific, and just like this one is loaded with great info. Most folks here just talk egg.

Not that there's anything wrong with that :).
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Great links, thanks!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Eggular
    Options
    I'm liking the 3 guys from miami
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    The most magnificent pig roast I've been to was done in an open pit, in a reflector shield, not directly over the coals until the final hour. The cavity was filled with two pounds of butter and one pound of salt. What? Butter in a pig? That was to help it cook from the inside as well as the outside, and the salt was to draw out some kind of crappy stuff in the cavity. It made sense. Not a giant butter stuffed chicken that I was fearing, where the butter squirts out when you make the first cut. What is that called?? Anyway I don't know the timing of this cook or the size of the pig, but it was about 8 hours. The final hour they removed the heat shield and shoveled the coals directly under the pig and began pouring in two quarts of honey as the skin crisped. The butter had all dried up. No grease puddle. It was served on huge trays on a large table. Everyone just dove right in.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Chicken Kiev, that's what I was thinking of. I was afraid all that butter in the pig would shoot out when it was cut open, but the butter was all dried up and with the salt it did it's job helping to cook the pig from within. It was perfect.
  • Eggular
    Options
    That sounds awesome! Thanks.