Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reassembly after Gasket Install Issue

Magicman_007
Magicman_007 Posts: 65
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I put on a new gasket after burning up the original one.

So, everything goes good on the install and I put the top back in the band and re tighten the band on the bottom and the halves do not line up. I loosen the bands and mess with it a little bit, but can't seem to get them to line up after I retighten the bands.

What am I doing wrong.

As a side note, previous to the gasket replacement, I was having a little trouble the lid as it had a tendency to not stay open from time to time. I do wonder if there was an issue with the way the hinge was put together.

Any help sure would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    could you post a picture? As for not staying open is it level? Or is the hinge on upside down making it clamp shut instead of assisting the opening and staying open!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    What size egg?

I've only had to do this once- but I think it helps to have two people to hold everything in place while you tighten it.

I'm pretty sure my hinge assembly came assembled from the factory. It sounds like maybe your dome is just not opening fully? It is pretty much gravity that keeps it in place once it is open (the springs are relaxed).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ahhhh...It may not be level as the patio may be slanted for drainage. For the most part, it does stay open, but if does not take much to make it close. I will try and get some pics. I do feel the assembly is on correctly as the springs are contracted when open.
  • I have a large egg. Yes, the springs are fully relaxed.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    like this?
    IMG_0461.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I don't have that problem thank goodness. I do think it is the grad of the patio. i actually turn it around 180 degrees and it does stay open much better.

I still have the alignment problem though. I did loosen the band and re-tighten and it is better, but not real good.