Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LEM meat grinder

Options
Boilermaker Ben
Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone use an LEM meat grinder? I'm looking at a good deal on their .25hp model. I'm not seeing too many reviews online, but what I've seen are good. Sturdily built, metal gears. The only drawback I've seen is that it doesn't have a reverse switch. The price is higher than I was looking for in a grinder, but then again, this is a level above the type of grinder I was looking at, and is a great price for this model.

Any comments?

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Why would you want a reverse switch? -RP
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    I believe they are used if the grinder clogs, so you can back the clog out, without having to disassemble the grinder.
  • AZRP
    Options
    The only thing that would clog would be sinew around the blade but reversing wouldn't clear it. How much grinding do you plan on doing? If you aren't going to be doing more than 5 lbs at a time, I would go with the KA mixer with the grinding attachment, that way you have a mixer too. If you are going with the LEM, take a look at the .35 hp, it has a #8 head which is considerably larger than than the #5 on the .25 hp. Call me, 800-845-2252 x321 and I'll share some ideas. -RP
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    I'll probably wind up going with the KA attachment. I just saw this one on craigslist and oggled at it for a bit. Really good price, for this unit, but I think I'd rather spend that money on a stuffer.

My only reservation about the KA is that mine is already sounding like the motor is on its way out, and I wonder if grinding meat with it might push it over the edge. Might have to find a serviceman to take a look at it.

I've got a friend with a KA grinder, and a vertical stuffer, who is willing to lend to me. I told myself I was going to try out his equipment before making any purchases for myself, and I should probably follow through with that.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

The reverse switch has some affect. It does release some of the fat that seems to get in the exit holes and edge of the blade when I use the small and medium size grind plates (haven't used the course plate yet).

With that said there would be no big loss if the reverse wasn't on the unit.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I did a lot of searching last year for a meat grinder. The LEM, Cabella's and some of the others are private labeled machines of another manufacturer.

Last year I bought a new KA 620 Professional and the meat grinder attachment. I ground, at different times 10 pounds of meat. I stuffed, using the KA stuffing tubes, 3 pounds into brats and ended up burning out the 610. I called KA techs and asked what was the deal and was told the duty cycle of the KA attachment port is about is 7 to 10 minutes and not to let the head get hot.

When I ground the KA heat was extremely hot. I then put the meat in the fridge to cool down and then stuffed.

After grinding the meat went to 54°, then as I said I cooled, and then I stuffed and the meat got to 63° and the KA stiffing takes a huge amount of time and really needs two people to accomplish the task.

In my grinding I did not partially freeze the meat nor did I pre-cool the grinding attachment which some of the form members said should be done.

With that said, there are forum members that have used and continue to use the KA grinder to grind their meat and have great success. Thirdeye has some pictures of the KA grinding on his Playing with Fire and Smoke site. Several other forum members have posted KA grinds.

I ended up purchasing a Cabella 'professional' home unit - I couldn't afford their upper line of grinders (If I would have had the money I would have purchased the upper line).

Harbor Freight has just has just recently began selling a meat grinder which looks a lot like the professional unit I have. I think the price is around $60 when not on sale.

I believe Grizzly stuffers also have a meat grinder, much the same as LEM and Cabellas and there several others.

The KA grinder has a course grind plate and a small grind plate. The small is much the same as my medium plate. I use the fine plate and grinding. The other day I did partially freeze the meat and got the grind head as cold as the freezer could get it. Grinding was about 1/2 the time and much easier than when the grinding head is room temperature and the meat is refrigerator temperature. When I finished the grind the meat was below 40°.

I also purchased a 5# vertical stuffer which is a dream to have. Sometimes I wish I had got a larger capacity.

I would suggest getting a grinder other than KA and a stuffer. Sure makes life much easier.

Below was the result of some Summer Sausage (fantastic - better than Hickory Farm) Cabella grinder and vertical stuffer. I ended up tossing the 15# batch I did with the KA grinder and stuffer. The grinding side of the KA would probably have been OK but the stuffing side with the 3# logs took way too long and was in the food danger zone for way too much time.

sausage_summer.jpg

I should probably add I am no way accomplished in sausage making, rather a newbee. But the sausage, brauts sure taste fantastic.

My 2¢
    Kent
  • AZRP
    Options
    I agree, the KA is an adequate grinder for small quantity grinding but as a stuffer it absolutely sucks. I bought the Cabelas commercial 1/2 hp grinder and even it benefits from meat being partially frozen, my fingers don't though. I have a 5 lb vertical stuffer that I wouldn't want to be without, but I still stuff summer sausage casings with a large spoon. Its a lot less clean up. For that same reason if I'm just doing a small amount of meat, I grind with the KA. -RP
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Ben: I have a LEM, and absolutely love it! We did 33+ pounds of summer sausage in about 3 hours, ground, and stuffed. The grinding and stuffing with the LEM is very efficient. I highly recommend it.
    FWIW, I had the KA grinder attachment, used it once, and gave it away. Wayyyy too much trouble for what it accomplishes, IMO. Wish you the best!
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Wow, good to hear that it works well enough as a stuffer. I hadn't anticipated hearing that. I went ahead and called the seller, but got voicemail. Not sure if it's still available. The asking price was $145 or best offer, which is about $100 off the price listed on the LEM webiste...about $60 off the Bass Pro Shops price. If it does an adequate job at stuffing, I think I'm sold on it. We'll see if I hear from the seller.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Ben: It works great as a stuffer, though admittedly, a second pair of hands makes things go incredibly faster. One person putting the ground meat in the auger, and the other person working the casing. It can certainly be done alone, but the second person is invaluable time wise. They truly are grinding machines! Hope you hear back, sounds like a great deal. :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    can you get different size plates for it, thats my one complaint with the ka, the plates are too small. the stuffer wasnt a deal breaker for me with the ka, i usually just make bulk patties
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Yeah, LEM has a line of plates, and it looks like Bass Pro Shops carries at least some of them.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    that would sell it for me right there. the big plate on the ka is borderline small, i havent figured out what to do with the fine grind plate
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Ben: It should come with a coarse, a fine, and a blank for stuffing (plus I think 3 (?) different sized tubes for stuffing). I have not found a need for any additional plates. Summer sausage for example, I do a coarse grind, then fine grind. Regular sausage, I like to put it through twice on coarse, etc. I've been more than pleased with the results. (The plates and hole sizes can't even be compared to the KA. Like an apple and an orange.)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

My stuffer is like yours. I wish I could have gotten the grinder you have, that is really nice.

I will have to give the spoon a try on bigger diameter casings. I usually do a 15# batch when I make Summer Sausage so I am thinking in that case the stuffer. I found some Summer casings that have a green Merry Christmas and or Happy Holidays and I am going to do that and some smoked cheese for Christmas presents this year.

My grinder is about as easy to clean as the KA grinder and I ended up selling the KA grinder I had. I was told by the KA technician that if I burned out the replacement KA again it would not be covered under warranty.

Kent
  • AZRP
    Options
    You're right, my grinder is no harder to clean than the KA, just a whole lot bigger. Then there is getting the big guy out and setting it up then putting it all away, the beast must weigh 80 lbs. The KA is on the counter and all I have to do is get the attachment from the pantry. Much easier if I just want to grind a couple burgers. Can't blame you for getting rid of yours though, I'd do the same if it fried my mixer. -RP
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Ben, something to really consider is whether you'll be working alone grinding and stuffing. I always am and am happy to have a second stuffing operation. A hand crank stuffer is much more manageable for one person than a grinder doing the job of a stuffer and IMHO, the dedicated stuffer does a better job of stuffing than a grinder/stuffer. A lot really has to do with if you'll most often have help or not.

Mark
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    I don't know how much the LEM is on sale for, but all the LEM's I've seen have a plastic auger. The plates are metal, but the auger wasn't, and I was afraid that too much pressure would cause the end to round off. That's my $.02 on the LEM. After tons of research, I ended up buying a Northern Tool #12 grinder, and it works fantastic. It grinds 175 lbs/hr (and after using it, that is conservative), and comes with a reverse switch. I ground up 5 deer last winter, and have no complaints. It's on sale for $99 right now.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    GG and Randy,when I stuff the Summer Sausage I use my jar funnel.It comes with a canning tool kit.The whole kit is less than 5 bucks and the jar funnel is worth more than that if you only use it for stuffing.That thing works GREAT. :)
    101310001.jpg
    101310002.jpg
    101310003.jpg
    101310004.jpg
    101310005.jpg
    The funnel is just rite to fit the summer sausage casings.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=&q=meat+grinder
    Went to Harbor Freighy website and typed in meat grinder.This was the only one that showed up.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    I have the kitchen aid attachment, the biggest drawback of it is it's made of plastic. On mine the grinder attachment housing eventually cracked. I've since replaced it with the Cuisinart stand mixer and grinder attachment. It's not plastic and it's been working wonderfully.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Cruezn: The only LEM I have seen with a synthetic auger is their "counter top" model. Even the .25 HP (their smallest other than the counter top model) has a stainless auger. Looked at the model you linked to, and that looks like a solid deal as well! I am assuming it has a stainless auger? They didn't provide the details, but looks pretty solid for sure for the price. :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

That is the same as Cabella's 'Pro' model at $199. It is a good unit and works well.

Kent