Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to get whole fresh pig

PhilsGrill
PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone know where to get a whole fresh pig in the Atlanta area? Big, you know... 60+ pounds or so? Thanks.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here in Florida a special order from Publix usually solves the problem, but they are frozen.
  • Tank_NZ
    Tank_NZ Posts: 53
    google piggerys (sp?) in your local area and buy from the farmer direct?

Cut out the middle man and get fresher meat to boot.
  • Tank_NZ
    Tank_NZ Posts: 53
    these guys were recommended on chowhound http://www.grassfedcow.com/ by Georgia Geography is a bit slack - so they may be some distance away.
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    I cant speak for Atlanta, but I go to my local butcher, and he orders an extra pig for me along with his own order for the week.
    Do butchers in American get the meat delivered pre cut or do they take in carcass meat and cut it on site. Certainly here in Ireland the large multiples get the meat pre cut and portioned, but the local butchers get in whole animals and cut them up in the shop.
  • I went to a BBQ class at the beginning of the month in Unadilla, and there was some discussion about where to find whole pigs. Regrettably, if you want a head-on USDA pig, the sources are becoming fewer and fewer. The issue seems to be that there are only a few facilities around that do the waxing and skin scalding to remove the hair.

One source in South Georgia is "Yoder's Butcher Block" in Montezuma, Ga.

In the class, we used a 160 lb (dressed weight) pig from that source.

Don
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    i think it might be hard to find a pig that small, 60lbs.. might as well do a big hog, for the price of hogs now you can get a lot of meat for the price, the last hog we got we paid .50$per/lb. 180 hog, we paid 90 bucks for it. cant beat a hog roast for taste and money.
    i live in the upper midwest, there are hog farms up here and i am not sure about Atlanta, but i can tell you that if you go to your local meat market, they can get one, dont go to the meat dept in the grocery store, they cant get you one, but a meat market that butchers there own meat. they can and will get you anything you want, atleast up here you can, also, if you want, you can make some calls to some hog farmers if there are any down there and they will sell the pig direct to you, but then you need to take care of it, or they will tell you where you can take it to get it prepped. hope this helps. not sure what a piggerys is, but i think the Tank_NZ is trying to say hog farm.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I used to do whole hog a couple of times a year. There is just too much waste, and it is not cost efficient, not to mention a pain in the ass.....IMO. But if one wants to impress a crowd, apple in the mouth, etc....I suppose its the way to go. Butts and Ribs for me. :)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Call Wilkes. They can get you one.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    some of the local distributors may not want to deal with a retail customer, but try calling some of your local food distributors/restaurant suppliers. Many can order you a whole pig and will let you come to the warehouse to pick it up....or at least will be able to direct you to a butcher who may be able to help....
  • tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    Try Oak Grove Market on LaVista Rd in Decatur, they supply the Greek Festival with their whole lamb every year they could probably get a pig also
  • cowman
    cowman Posts: 13
    We raise pigs and can provide any weight you want. Our pigs are raised in a concrete floored pen and fed corn and soy bean hull pellets. We are in Southern Mississippi but can deliver within 100 miles.

We can also help you figure out how to roast the pig.

Our pigs are raised to put marbelling into the meat. Commercial pigs have been bred to take all the fat out but we are trying to reverse that.

We also sell Prime Black Angus steers that are corn fed for 6 months before being slaughtered and then dry aged for 21 days. Great marbeling and flavor.

The problem with USDA inspected meat is that there are not many slaughter houses that have a USDA inspector.

You can reach us at tward2481@aol.com

Cowman